Fellowship of the Home Brew I: The Hops are Strong with this one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnenieGone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellowship of the Home Brew I: The Hops are Strong with this one!!

Welcome to the inaugural Fellowship of the Home Brew trade thread!!

This thread is all about sharing home brew with one another. If you're interested in retail sharing please visit the Fellowship of the Drink thread.
FotD VII

So how does it work?
1. If you're interested in participating, let us know in this thread.
2. Before the date listed below send me descriptions of your Home Brew offerings.
3. A few days before the drawing I will post a full list of all the offerings along with posting the randomized pick order in 5min intervals.
4. If you are not going to be around for the pick send me a pick list order so that I can put your pick in for you.
5. On pick day, show up at your time slot to submit your pick. If you sent me a pick list I'll cover you. If you fail to send a list or show up you go to the end of the line.

Rules, there must be rules..
- Continental US residents only
- Must be of legal drinking age (I feel dumb having to actually type that, but prefer not to risk getting thumped by Yooper)
- Participants must have at least 1 iTrader rating, of course 100% positive, otherwise, just PM me your mail trading experience.
- The final rule is the participant must give feedback on itrader of their experience.

Offer Guidelines
- Minimum offerings are 4-12oz bottles of your favorite Home brew; ANY beer style along with ciders, meades, hard lemonaids, etc.
- If possible, 4 different styles, but we understand how difficult that can be so no flogging if it's not possible. :)
- Be willing to share recipe and explain your brewing techniques to those who request.
- Be willing to give constructive and useful feedback on the home brew you received to aid our fellow brewer if requested.
- Guidelines are just that, guidelines. Final shipments may, and many times do, exceed the offering posted. Extras are not required however.

Current Timeline (tentative and subject to change, at least for now.)
Thursday July 6th - Create thread
Thursday August 10th - All photos & final submissions due
Saturday, August 12th - List of offers posted along with Order of Picks revealed via random drawing by 12pm CST.
Wednesday, August 16th - Pick day starting at 7:30pm CST!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

In so Far:
1) @Pianoman
2) @jimyson
3) @jerbrew
4) @JDXX1971
5) @Scturo
6) @imasickboy
7) @fourfarthing
8) @TwistedGray
9) @Thorrak
10) cegan09

I'm in. Should have at least 4 ready. I might not completely comply with the bottle rules though. I love 16oz bottles, and will put some of my higher ABV beers in those. One is already packaged up that way.

I'm in. Should have at least 4 ready. I might not completely comply with the bottle rules though. I love 16oz bottles, and will put some of my higher ABV beers in those. One is already packaged up that way.

no worries C! 4-12oz is only a min. One of mine is only in bombers.

I'd really like to join this. I just don't have a lot to offer rigt now. I got a Belgian Wit, which I think came out pretty good, an Afpelwein that is solid. But that's it, I got a left over IPA fermenting, who knows how that's gonna taste. Maybe, we'll see.

I'd really like to join this. I just don't have a lot to offer rigt now. I got a Belgian Wit, which I think came out pretty good, an Afpelwein that is solid. But that's it, I got a left over IPA fermenting, who knows how that's gonna taste. Maybe, we'll see.

We'll take that as a maybe..

For the record I'd be perfectly ok with offers that aren't 4 different varieties. A couple bottles of a single one is not a bad thing.

I have 4-5 varieties right now, but that is not the norm at all. Usually I'll have two at time at most.

I love this trade, mainly because I brew for me. I don't typically share much, but would love feedback. Usually when I share, it's a public event with people that don't really know the brewing process. So sharing with other brewers, (without even having to leave the house), makes this perfect for me.

This is like a performing art. Playing piano for me was fine, but giving solo recitals took the nerves up a few notches. Had a few blunders along the way. I've given home brew, only my best, to the Pint House Pizza dudes. But I've handed out crap...unintentionally..also. Lived through it all!! This will be positive for all I think.

@fourfarthing
Was good too, cant wait to try your other one. I will be sitting on that one for a while.

You better. That one is for the holidays ;) The Porter you had is probably the best beer that I have made. Just laid down batch number two of it and I am scared it will not be as good.

Kid you not. I've have quit a bit of different people's HB. At least 75% is as good or better then any retail. Excited myself.

I have had a few and all of them were very good. special shout out's. @nickbtag for the Belgian Quad and sharing the recipe which I am going to brew soon.

@Bigfish713 for the amazing Swantucky bourbon stout. I only wish I had this recipe.

I dont want to say what I got from fourfarthing since he is in this trade. But it was good!!!

Thanks! I would love some feedback. Most that I share with are not brewers and I never get solid feedback.

What have you had so far?

MV IPA: I see why you don't get solid feedback because I don't have anything constructive to say.

As far as IPAs are concerned, I liked it a lot. It was not overly hoppy or bitter, right amount of this ... right amount of that.

I thought I got a hint of vanilla coming out of the bottle, but after that it was lost. Then again, the naming might have had my brain already expecting a vanilla aroma that didn't exist? I don't know. I guess if you pinned me down for criticism it would be that it was "boring" but that is very much subjective...and boring is not bad, persay. A good IPA is a good IPA :mug:

20170706_174310.jpg

Ok, I had a taste of my left over IPA today while doing the second dry hop, and it was pretty tasty. So I'm officially in the FOTHB, :ban:

So when we send our offers, do we include grain bill, hops, yeast? Can we post pics of the HB, so people can see what it looks like?

Ok, I had a taste of my left over IPA today while doing the second dry hop, and it was pretty tasty. So I'm officially in the FOTHB, :ban:

So when we send our offers, do we include grain bill, hops, yeast? Can we post pics of the HB, so people can see what it looks like?

I don't think it should be required (ie: the ingredients list, if you will), but I do think a description of what each beer is would be a good start.

Also, I imagine pics would be welcomed, but I wouldn't personally need them to make my decision...a decent description of whatever the beer is, is good enough for me.

i don't think it should be required (ie: The ingredients list, if you will), but i do think a description of what each beer is would be a good start.

Also, i imagine pics would be welcomed, but i wouldn't personally need them to make my decision...a decent description of whatever the beer is, is good enough for me.

+1

MV IPA: I see why you don't get solid feedback because I don't have anything constructive to say.

As far as IPAs are concerned, I liked it a lot. It was not overly hoppy or bitter, right amount of this ... right amount of that.

I thought I got a hint of vanilla coming out of the bottle, but after that it was lost. Then again, the naming might have had my brain already expecting a vanilla aroma that didn't exist? I don't know. I guess if you pinned me down for criticism it would be that it was "boring" but that is very much subjective...and boring is not bad, persay. A good IPA is a good IPA :mug:

Thanks. You definitely had the vanilla correct. That’s why Milli Vanilli is so fitting. Sounds like I need to up it slightly. Debatable though as I thought it was too much when fresh. Looking back, it was kegged June 1. It’s lost a lot of the aroma that it originally had then.

I will be brewing this again and will send you a fresh one. Big difference. I’m also going to increase my mash by a couple degrees to thicken it up just a tad.

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

i don't think it should be required (ie: The ingredients list, if you will), but i do think a description of what each beer is would be a good start.

Also, i imagine pics would be welcomed, but i wouldn't personally need them to make my decision...a decent description of whatever the beer is, is good enough for me.

+2

I'm thinking about this one- all I bottle are sours but I have a Munich helles, a citra lager in the style of pils, and a RIS kegged. Just gotta figure out how to get from Keg to bottle.

I've tired @Brizzo's sours, and they are outstanding. My goal always is to brew beer that I would pay money for. I would pay money for his sours.

I've tired @Brizzo's sours, and they are outstanding. My goal always is to brew beer that I would pay money for. I would pay money for his sours.

Y'all are gonna make me open a sour brewery........too scared to own a business lol.

We have a problem! Drinking my own brew, doh!!

Me too!! I told my wife to untap one of them because I know it has got to be getting low. Right now I am drinking a clone of my local favorite. I have dry hops in the keg and to me it is the best hop flavor I have had, in case you dont know I have not found an IPA I like.

I was thinking about naming my clone inspired beer IPIYIPA. Figure that one out.:D

On a plus note, I did order six cases of bottles from More Beer that will be here tomorrow.:ban::ban::ban:

Back