Massachusetts First competition. Style clarification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlmbrwng

Reaction score
Hello all. I am entering my first homebrew competitions. I brewed a bunch the past couple of months so I have a few beers I would like to enter. Two of them have additions. One is a porter with coconut. Another is a hibiscus saison. Would both of these fit into the "30A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer" category? The BJCP guidelines of this category state that:

"Vegetables can include some botanical fruit. This category explicitly includes all culinary spices, herbs, and vegetables, as well as nuts (anything with ‘nut’ in the name, including coconut), chile peppers, coffee, chocolate, spruce tips, rose hips, hibiscus, fruit peels/zest (but not juice), rhubarb, and the like. "

I'm guessing that they would not belong in the classic styles sections of porter and saison, and would in fact be judged poorly since they do not meet the classic descriptions. The base of each beer without the additions would, however, fall within the classic style categories.

Thoughts?

Yes, 30a for both.

But read your competition rules carefully, you may be restricted to 1 beer per category.

Back