Golden SMASH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
This is my latest batch that I did yesterday:

5kg Pale Ale Malted Barley
80g Fuggles Hops (4.6% AA)
1 Tin Golden Syrup (454g)
1 Sachet Bread Yeast

Mash grains with 12.5 litres water, at between 63-67°C for 2 hours.
Sparge grains with hot water until just over 23L total wort volume collected.
Add hops to hops spider.
Transfer the wort back into the kettle and boil (with the hops) for 60 minutes.
Tap the wort into the fermenter bucket, adding the golden syrup at this point.
The total volume of wort now is 20L, so lost 3L during the boil. Leave to cool for 6 hours.
Pitch yeast then ferment for 2 weeks before racking.

Last edited:
Bread yeast? I can't get past that yet... my mind has hit a wall... Nottingham would... OK, good luck.
It’s like you’re signature line reads: “toss it in and see how it works.” I’m guessing a very quick fermenting and dry beer. Not sure what ester profile to expect from that.

There are several online posts on this. Here’s an old Brülosophy post comparing bread yeast and beer yeast.

https://brulosophy.com/2020/03/30/y...us-05-american-ale-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

I started with bread yeast back in the early '70's because there were no other options. Yes, it made beer ... something that I might loosely compare to a dry saison today. We drank it because it was a novelty, not because it was especially good. Bread yeast was probably one of the reasons that homebrew had such a bad reputation for so long following Prohibition.

Back