Grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried storing grain in food grade plastic bags?
I used to use vacuum storage (magic) bags for large amounts of grain, 10-40lbs. I kept the product in the original bag (paper bag) inside the vacuum bag, since the vacuum bags are unlikely foodgrade. Smaller amounts of grain I just used small vacuum sealer (and still do for hops). Problem with the big magic bags are they just aren't made for frequent sealing and unsealing, so start to fail rather quickly.

.......I think regular zip lock bags would work fine. Not like you're going to need a lot of them.

Those basic Ziplock 1 gallon bags, with the sliding lock, are perfect for specialty grains. I try to get the Ziploc brand as some of the generic knock offs (like Sam's Choice) the zipper will rupture over time.

I looked around Amazon for "1 gallon resealable mylar bags". I wonder if they may be a better option than the Ziplocs I mentioned. Take these for example.

One Gallon Mylar Bags For Food Storage 50pc

They have labels too. They look similar to the hop bags you get from Yakima Valley and More Beer. The price per bag to the ones I linked are less than fitty cent. It may be overkill for some, but if they are like the resealable hop bags we get in our bulk purchases, they may be more durable than the off brand Ziploc bags from your Sam Choice types. I've had a zipper seam split on me with those generic Ziplocs.

I just got a couple too. But they were $25.99 each. :D

Only available in store and only when they have them. I also noticed that many were warped, probably got hot in a warehouse or on a truck. But it wasn't hard to find two that were still flat on the bottom and didn't wobble.

I'm actually using one of them for dog food.

Yes, they were 25+ change. Funny all the ones in the store had a slught dent on the back side. Nothing major or I wouldn't have got them.

For my base malts I have a couple of these 46 liter / 10 gallon buckets. They cost close to nothing at the local farm shop. Think they are ment to contain food for pigs/horses or whatever...

1250013-014_gg_produktbild.jpg

For specialty malts I just save any bucket that looks like it would fit the purpose, bring them to the LHBS and fill them up with however much will fit in there. This one I got for free when buying pickles :)

IMG_20240125_160651.jpg

Looks a match made in heaven!

I could see that a pickle would be a good garnish for the right style of beer. Perhaps not a bourbon barrel stout, but definitely a crisp lager, such as PBR.

Back