Home Brew Birthday Present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayd

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm Shayd, new to the forum and from Sydney Australia.

Anyways I am trying to create a birthday present for a friend of mine by incorporating ingredients that reflect things about him as well as make some clever labels and packaging to present to him on his birthday.

He is an Aussie guy with Asian heritage but has recently spent some time in Germany. So I needed to get those things worked in somehow and I thought the grain and hop bills would take care of that. So far I've got the following recipe, I'm trying to create something quite unique, as he has spent some time around wheat beers but loves Australian and American pale ales, nothing too crazy though:

1.5 kg (3 lb) liquid wheat malt extract (going for German Ale and/or wheat beer - that's the German part covered)
1 kg (2 lb) liquid rice malt extract (purely to tick off the Asian part)
1.5 kg (3 lb) liquid light malt extract
1 kg (2 lb) #10 body brew enhancer (600g dextrose 400g maltodextrin)
200g (7 oz.) crystal grain infusion
200g (7 oz.) light grain infusion
400g (14 oz.) wheat grain infusion

1 oz. Perle hops @ 60 mins - bittering (German hop as well)
2 oz. Galaxy hops total; 1 oz. @ 15 mins. for flavour and 1 oz. dry hopped for aroma (Australian hop - Aussie part covered)

Safale K-97 Dried Yeast or US-05 (Not sure if the k-97 will produce esters and banana flavours at my high fermentation temp and have used US-05 before with success. Thought the k-97 might add a touch of that wheat beer flare to the brew)

He also works with solar panels, so trying to work in something sun related.

He enjoys soccer, have no idea how to involve that aside from grassy, piney hops of some.

He is an extremely clever guy, very book smart and generally intelligent (lovingly called a nerd), so if anyone had a cryptic way of inserting that I would be over the moon.

He likes snowboarding and has traveled a bit, so I am getting a friend to bring back some melted snow from Europe to dump in to tick that off.

So in general, would love to hear your thoughts/comments/opinions/ideas as I think this is a great personalized gift, and hopefully I can explain it in a nicely designed case as to what makes up the beer and what makes him up as a person.

I want to stick to extract brewing with steeping grains and dried yeast, as I have had success and they are easy to make a great beer on a budget. I've also just used the labels my LHBS uses.

Phew. Cheers.

Back