How much hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
...in a can of hopped malt extract?

A four lb. can of Mountmellick Hopped Malt Extract...Export Ale. Can't find it anywhere on the label, and can't find a website for them. Anybody got a clue how much hops was actually in this?

it's irrelevant! i'd add hops to the extract kits. you'll get much more flavor and aroma by adding w/ the pellets (or even fresh hops). and don't worry, it won't be over doing it. those hopped extract kits just don't have enough to make a diffeence.......

I was just wondering in case I wanted to try and reproduce the batch without using the kit. I added 2 lbs. of unhopped LME, and boiled 1/2 oz of fuggles for 30 minutes. You're saying the 1/2 oz. of fuggles was probably more than was in the 4 lb. kit?

well, my first ever brew (and only time i used a hopped extract) DeFalco's told me to use pellet hops with the hopped extract can kits because the process of making the extract realy dilutes the hops that are added in. once you boil again, and add water to get your volume, it's no where near it should be. my next batch i went to DeFalco's bulk extract (fresher), grains for added body, and hop pellets. just another step to the all-grain process.

I agree; I used a can of hopped extract once only because the recipe called for it. I wouldn't bother with hopped extract again.

It was supposed to be an IPA and the extract really didn't add much in the way of hop flavor or aroma. It made for a decent pale ale, but IPA? Not really. I should have upped the hops, same as if I were using unhopped extract!

Well I don't plan on ever using hopped extract again either, but I might want to make this beer again. Trouble is, I can't really reproduce it, because I don't really know how much hops was in it. CMAR :(

i got stuff saturday to brew my amber ale, granted it's all-grain. i plan on using 1.2 oz cascade @ 75 minutes, 0.5 oz cascade @ 15 min, and 0.5 oz liberty @ 0 min. you probably do a 60 min boil, so do 60, 15, and 0. it should give you about 30 - 35 IBU's in your ale. that's basically Saint Arnold's hop schedule for their Amber Ale.
it's in tune for the style according to Pro Mash too.

I think what everyone really is trying to tell you is....we don't know. And relax, have a homebrew. :D

loop

loopmd said:
You win El P
Yeah, but I don't feel very good about it...is this a sucky football year or what? :(
loopmd said:
But can I still come over for a brew?
Funny you mention that...my BOL is in your neck of the woods...he's the guy who introduced me to real beer at his retirement party 5 years ago. I'm fixin to send him some samples...pm me your phone # and I'll send a few brews along for you.

Latest posts

Back