Maxcold 40-qt MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandy

Reaction score
Has anyone drilled a 40-qt Igloo MaxCold cooler for use as a MLT? I'm considering using one, but since it doesn't come drilled I was hoping that someone else who had done it could let me know how much a pain it is.

One of my HBC members is driving up to Northwestern Extract in a couple weeks, and if I can get a MLT put together, I'll have him pick me up 100# of grain for $50. Otherwise, it's 50# of extract for $85.

Thanks!

I just did the 38 qrt Igloo with wheels and its not fun trying to figure out what will work afterwards. If i had to do it again I would get 1 with a spigot, it would have been much easier.

I "think" for a weldless fitting you will need a 7/8's hole. It should not be to bad to drill it. Start with a 3/8 and then go to the 7/8 (make sure that's what you need). You will only want to use a small hole as a pilot hole. Don't "step it up" that makes it so the drill does not have enough to dig into and the hole wont be as nice.

I have a 7/8" hole-saw already from porting my kettle, so I'm not too worried about drilling the hole... more about getting it to seal once I put the bulkhead in.

evandy said:
Has anyone drilled a 40-qt Igloo MaxCold cooler for use as a MLT? I'm considering using one, but since it doesn't come drilled I was hoping that someone else who had done it could let me know how much a pain it is.

One of my HBC members is driving up to Northwestern Extract in a couple weeks, and if I can get a MLT put together, I'll have him pick me up 100# of grain for $50. Otherwise, it's 50# of extract for $85.

Thanks!

My suggestion is to drill out the bottom of the cooler rather than the side. I have a slightly larger one and without a pump it takes forever to get the last inch or so of runoff out of the bottom of the cooler because the outlet is higher...

The next one I make will have the outlet on the bottom of the cooler.

s3n8 said:
Any luck with this one? I have all the parts, but have not drilled it yet.

I have the cooler, and will be assembling it within the next couple of weeks, as soon as I finish off my keggerator project. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regarding the bottom-outlet: I definitely want to be able to store this on a flat surface, so I'll be going through the side. As long as the cooler is above the kettle, the siphon should take care of any internal dip, as with all pickups.

Latest posts

Back