New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today I had my latest all Citra hazy score a 39 and 38 in a local comp. Didn't place. I asked the 1st place guy his scores, and he showed me his sheets - 39 and 38! I wasn't aware of the mini BoS judging that happens when many beers score the same. Apparently, 6 beers made it to the mini BoS, and mine was one of them, but didn't make the cut. Dang it! Next time!

70% 2 Row
25% White Wheat
5% Carafoam
Citra 25 IBU
7oz Dry Hop
Coastal Haze

So today I had my latest all Citra hazy score a 39 and 38 in a local comp. Didn't place. I asked the 1st place guy his scores, and he showed me his sheets - 39 and 38! I wasn't aware of the mini BoS judging that happens when many beers score the same. Apparently, 6 beers made it to the mini BoS, and mine was one of them, but didn't make the cut. Dang it! Next time!

70% 2 Row
25% White Wheat
5% Carafoam
Citra 25 IBU
7oz Dry Hop
Coastal Haze
Solid score ma! But absolutel mini bos are tough. In a Chicago comp this past fall I scored a 43, 42,41 and didn’t metal with any of the 3 beers lol
IMG_2131.jpeg
IMG_2132.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot to measure it but it was very sweet. No mention of lactose on the can but might be something similar. I'm just a bit confused as to why they would collab with these breweries only to make the beers so sweet.
It's Omnipollo. It's what they do.

Solid score ma! But absolutel mini bos are tough. In a Chicago comp this past fall I scored a 43, 42,41 and didn’t metal with any of the 3 beers lolView attachment 847948View attachment 847949
I had no clue about the mini BoS judging. I went up to the coordinator, and was like, "Uh, you guys messed up. I got the same scores as the First Place beer". Now I feel like an ass lol. But, I'm happy with the scores. At least I know it was "even" with the winner. I'll be sure to up my game next time!

I had no clue about the mini BoS judging. I went up to the coordinator, and was like, "Uh, you guys messed up. I got the same scores as the First Place beer". Now I feel like an ass lol. But, I'm happy with the scores. At least I know it was "even" with the winner. I'll be sure to up my game next time
like you said though, you were in the mix. The mini bos def is based on preference. If you haven’t tried this before you shou; send the same beer to 3 comps that are close in date to each other. I think you’ll be amazed on how different the beers will be judge. It def eye opening and you see how regional expectations for styles are in play.

I’ve done this a few times and I’ll have a beer medal in one comp with a high 38/39+ score and then In an other comp the same weekend get a low 30.

having had your beers before, I can only imagine it was great and you were just on the unfortunate side this time

like you said though, you were in the mix. The mini bos def is based on preference. If you haven’t tried this before you shou; send the same beer to 3 comps that are close in date to each other. I think you’ll be amazed on how different the beers will be judge. It def eye opening and you see how regional expectations for styles are in play.

I’ve done this a few times and I’ll have a beer medal in one comp with a high 38/39+ score and then In an other comp the same weekend get a low 30.

having had your beers before, I can only imagine it was great and you were just on the unfortunate side this time
Next time I'm taking Gold :)

I hate mailing beer, especially if comps ask for entries a month in advance. I prefer to do the local-ish events where I can drop off my beer. I'm still not 100% confident in my packaging skills, so there's that. These were bottled off the tap, and capped on foam, because I had an emergency and had to bottle quickly. But I like your idea of sending to different comps to see the differences in judging.

Thanks for the kind words. Always trying to improve!

I had no clue about the mini BoS judging. I went up to the coordinator, and was like, "Uh, you guys messed up. I got the same scores as the First Place beer". Now I feel like an ass lol. But, I'm happy with the scores. At least I know it was "even" with the winner. I'll be sure to up my game next time!
Yeah, I have been on both sides of that. A 42 that did not even place vs a 36 that jumped ahead for a gold medal. (Related to this thread, hopefully this fall I can time a brew day to get a Hazy IPA into a competition. The timing can be tough for time sensitive styles since you often have to register 3 months before judging, and send off beers 1 month before judging.)

Sorry for the blurry pic. I took a screenshot from Tree House's newest video showing how they formulate recipes. Looks like for their mock YouTube double ipa they have Munich II in the grist. Might not be true, but judging the sweetness and color of their IPAs, it's possible. Robust malt characters. Full body, caramel, honey, bread. I wonder if they're using it at 2-5%? Might have to give it a whirl!
TH.png

Sorry for the blurry pic. I took a screenshot from Tree House's newest video showing how they formulate recipes. Looks like for their mock YouTube double ipa they have Munich II in the grist. Might not be true, but judging the sweetness and color of their IPAs, it's possible. Robust malt characters. Full body, caramel, honey, bread. I wonder if they're using it at 2-5%? Might have to give it a whirl!View attachment 848080
I started watching the video but haven’t had a chance to make it all the way through yet. In your screen shot it has the beer name as a YouTube recipe, which would make me think it’s a mockup specifically for the video, so not sure how much weight I’d put into it.

That being said, I recall reading in a different forum a long time ago that someone mentioned talking with Nate in the early TH days, and Nate confirming using Munich in Julius. But I’m pretty sure he also mentioned on Instagram that he did not like Munich in IPAs, so who knows.

They certainly have crystal or Munich in a good number of their IPAs.

Hey all

I went ahead and brewed the "Treehouse IPA" recipe that Nate L. posted a while back. I mostly stayed with the recipe. Changed the base grain to a darker roasted pale ale malt, but that's about it. My recipe below.

1715017751818.png

Batch Size (To Packaging) (gal):3.5
Target OG:1.071
Target FG:1.013
Target IBUs40
Boil Time:60
Target SRM#:7
Mash Temp (F):152
Mash Time (min)60
Yeast:Verdant IPA - DRY

Grain Bill
Grain NameOriginal Amount (lb)Percentage
Pale Ale Malt, Briess1585.71%
Flaked Oats1.7510.00%
Carapils, Briess0.754.29%

Hop Bill
Hop NameOriginal Amount (oz)Addition Time
Magnum, US0.660
Citra0.220
Amarillo0.420
Simcoe0.220
Citra0.3WP
Amarillo0.6WP
Simcoe0.3WP
Citra3DH
Amarillo LupoMax2DH
Simcoe2.5DH

111.jpg
11.jpg

Beer ended up ok. Looks very dark in the picture, and it is a lot darker than most NEIPAs I have made. I do not believe it is oxidized. This is 3 weeks in the glass. Hops are still present, and taste right. Its doesn't have the gray tint to it. No weird off flavors. To me anyways...

Its a good like, "run of the mill" IPA recipe. Nothing that will blow your socks off. Its fine, but not top tier like what you can get at the best places that brew these types of beer. It hits all the "tropical, juicy" things about this style, but its not anywhere near exemplary.

Its pretty middle of the road. 5/10, will not brew again. That said, it is a lot better than most of the NEIPAs I have had around different places.

I wanted to post this, just in conjunction with the Brujos style I did about a month back. Same "style". Completely different beers. It was a cool beer to brew to learn more about the style.

I started watching the video but haven’t had a chance to make it all the way through yet. In your screen shot it has the beer name as a YouTube recipe, which would make me think it’s a mockup specifically for the video, so not sure how much weight I’d put into it.

That being said, I recall reading in a different forum a long time ago that someone mentioned talking with Nate in the early TH days, and Nate confirming using Munich in Julius. But I’m pretty sure he also mentioned on Instagram that he did not like Munich in IPAs, so who knows.

They certainly have crystal or Munich in a good number of their IPAs.
Oh, it definitely could just be smoke! I posted a page or 2 back after having a 25 min conversation with Nate at the Deerfield TH this past Feb. He told me many brewers and breweries are chasing the straw colored hazy/neipa, but he loves the deep orange colored hazy ipas. He says TH uses light crystal malt in Julius/Alter Ego etc. He says he laughs when people think his beer is oxidized because of the deeper orange color.

Hey all

I went ahead and brewed the "Treehouse IPA" recipe that Nate L. posted a while back. I mostly stayed with the recipe. Changed the base grain to a darker roasted pale ale malt, but that's about it. My recipe below.

View attachment 848094

Batch Size (To Packaging) (gal):3.5
Target OG:1.071
Target FG:1.013
Target IBUs40
Boil Time:60
Target SRM#:7
Mash Temp (F):152
Mash Time (min)60
Yeast:Verdant IPA - DRY

Grain Bill
Grain NameOriginal Amount (lb)Percentage
Pale Ale Malt, Briess1585.71%
Flaked Oats1.7510.00%
Carapils, Briess0.754.29%

Hop Bill
Hop NameOriginal Amount (oz)Addition Time
Magnum, US0.660
Citra0.220
Amarillo0.420
Simcoe0.220
Citra0.3WP
Amarillo0.6WP
Simcoe0.3WP
Citra3DH
Amarillo LupoMax2DH
Simcoe2.5DH

View attachment 848095 View attachment 848096

Beer ended up ok. Looks very dark in the picture, and it is a lot darker than most NEIPAs I have made. I do not believe it is oxidized. This is 3 weeks in the glass. Hops are still present, and taste right. Its doesn't have the gray tint to it. No weird off flavors. To me anyways...

Its a good like, "run of the mill" IPA recipe. Nothing that will blow your socks off. Its fine, but not top tier like what you can get at the best places that brew these types of beer. It hits all the "tropical, juicy" things about this style, but its not anywhere near exemplary.

Its pretty middle of the road. 5/10, will not brew again. That said, it is a lot better than most of the NEIPAs I have had around different places.

I wanted to post this, just in conjunction with the Brujos style I did about a month back. Same "style". Completely different beers. It was a cool beer to brew to learn more about the style.
What was the Lovibond on that malt? That's wicked dark for an 86% pale malt base with just flaked oats and carapils.

@MMP126 I’ll be honest the color on that bad boy is pretty off putting. But certainly doesn’t mean it’s oxidized, I attribute it to your base malt. When I’ve used golden promise in the past I’ve been surprised at how dark it is too.

Last edited:
I've kegged my first beer this week and it was a hazy based on information in this thread. When brewing this I was afraid some of the hops weren't up to standard and now that I've tasted the final product I concur. I was doing a demo, so I couldn't go out and fetch some other stuff from the freezer. It looks very good, mouthfeel is on point and I can make out the good hops. However, I expected more hop character and there is also a weird salty flavour in there. I wouldn't say Marmite or autolysis, but rather just salty.

Hops were:
25 g each BRU-1/El Dorado/Mosaic Sabro @ WP (76°C)

75 g each of the same as dry hop on day 12.

I added a tiny bit of SMB at the dry hop. The BRU-1 and El Dorado came from different suppliers or were repacked by them than my other hops (YVH, repacked myself) and they were rather boring.

I guess my main questions are 1) has anyone had this salty issue and 2) should I add keg hops to push better character? I don't know my water by heart, but it's not this salty and I didn't add any salt whatsoever apart from SMB. Grains were also pretty standard.

@G_robertus i bet what you are describing as “salty” is likely hop burn/bite. I’ve never heard it described as salty before but now that you do I think it’s pretty fitting, it’s a harshness like you are licking a salt rock. If that the case give it a week or two and see. It can be mitigated with some process tweaks in the future.

@MMP126 I’ll be honest the color on that bad boy is pretty off putting. But certainly doesn’t mean it’s oxidized, I attribute it to your base malt. When I’ve used golden promise in the past I’ve been surprised at how dark it is too.
One of my first Hazy IPAs was based off the initial recipe on this thread and was a 50/50 blend Crisp Marris Otter and 2-row (I think, along with oats and wheat). It was a decent beer, but had a bit of that muddy look to it. I do like the look of a little Munich to add a touch of an orange color, but I am also fine with a grist of just Pilsner + Oats + Wheat. My recent batch of the Tree House recipe with 85% 2-Row, 10% Oats, and 5% Carafoam came out a bit darker in color than I expected.

One of my first Hazy IPAs was based off the initial recipe on this thread and was a 50/50 blend Crisp Marris Otter and 2-row (I think, along with oats and wheat). It was a decent beer, but had a bit of that muddy look to it. I do like the look of a little Munich to add a touch of an orange color, but I am also fine with a grist of just Pilsner + Oats + Wheat. My recent batch of the Tree House recipe with 85% 2-Row, 10% Oats, and 5% Carafoam came out a bit darker in color than I expected.
I know a lot of folks are turned off by it now (this I never understood) but honey malt is a great choice. It’s 25L and at 3-5%(og dependent as its percentage should go down and og goes up) it adds sweetness and a nice light orange tone

Back