Personal Jockey Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have more kegs than cold storage space, and I was wondering how I could go about stealing a frosty pint or two from a warm keg. :fro:

It doesn't have to be a perfect system, it just has to chill a pint or two at a time.

I have a wide-mouthed 1L SS water bottle with a flat screw-on plastic lid. A standard keg faucet would mount to it perfectly. I have a plastic picnic tap, as well as a perlick laying around. I also have some copper tubing and some plastic tubing. I have a keg that I can cannibalize for spare parts as well as all the disconnect fittings and clamps, etc.

My plan is to attach the faucet to the lid, attach a keg post to the bottom, and fill the water bottle part way with water for a re-freezable personal jockey box.

I have a couple concerns about this concept as a whole, as well as concerns about how it might (or might not) be implemented.

Any thoughts from you seasoned keg and jockey box gurus out there?

Edit:

My concerns and questions include:

With the ice fully covering the internal coils, could the beer initially freeze in the line?

Could it get cold enough that ice particles form in the beer line, preventing the tap from closing? Especially given that the tap has been in the freezer...

Although a real faucet would fit just fine, would a picnic tap be better for this?

How could I flare the copper tubing to make it mate up with the keg fitting? And what is the OD/ID of a keg dip tube anyway?

If that winds up being too cold to pour a beer, I could always just stuff the thing with ice cubes. Another thought I just had is that I could pack the interior of the water bottle with steel wool. This would help transfer heat throughout the ice chunk, helping it to cool evenly, rather than just around the coils.

I think I'm leaning towards using a plastic tap and a short hose. Just have two barbs coming out of the water bottle, one for the tap and one for the QD to the corny.

Back