Philly Sour fermentation at very high temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark yeah

Reaction score
Hi All,

Many brewers have reported success with this yeast at high temps, but as far as I can tell, no one has tried it in the more extreme temperature range. I thought I'd give it a go at kviek-like Temps, 35C plus (95F) to see if it can produce a drinkable beer!
The beer is a grapefruit sour with a simple grist of pilsner, flaked wheat, dextrose and a portion of grapefruit juice. It's a smaller sample of a larger batch, which I've submerged in a water bath.
I'll update this thread as the beer progresses.

Attachments

• 20220927_073756.jpg
    20220927_073756.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220927_073824.jpg
    20220927_073824.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
68-86F is the recommended range. I have no experience with philly sour but 95F might be stressing the yeast a little. Hopefully no ill effects when you open those up.

I'll sip it warily! I really only curious because brewers have reported fermenting close to 30C/85F with no ill affects, so it makes me wonder if it's a bit like Voss and can be pushed to extremities without producing fusels.

Well this was a surprise!

Most importantly, this beer has no discernable fusels. I'm pretty sensitive to them, and this is as clean, in that regard, as you could get.
It has a slightly peppery aroma, but is otherwise quite clean on the nose.
The flavour is lightly bready and very clean, with a mild sourness. Certainly a much cleaner profile than this yeast produces when fermented in the 20s.
To sum it up, I would say it tastes VERY lager like. In fact, it screams lager to me in every respect excepting the pleasant sourness that accompanies it.

So there you have it. If you want to brew a lightly-soured lager, use this yeast at the extreme end of the temperature range and you should get good results.

I will have to check this yeast out for next spring/summer when I want something light and slightly tart.

Back