Short-Boil/Steep-Only Extract Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
I have been playing around with the idea of doing an all extract beer, which I have not done in quite a long time. I thought it might be fun to do a sort of modern hoppy wheat in the vein of Modern Times Fortunate Islands, but a tad higher abv. Here is the basic recipe I had in mind along with some of the numbers I'm seeing in BeerSmith.
  • 4.25 gallon (16L) batch size. Fermented in a corny keg.
  • 6 lbs Muntons Wheat DME ~ 1.059 SG
  • 4oz Citra T-90 (steeped @180-185F for 30 min.) ~ 48 IBU
  • Lallemand Bry-97 (@ 68F/20C) ~ probably 2 packets.
  • 4oz Citra T-90 (Dry hop) ~ probably on day 3 until gravity has stabilized for at least 48 hours. I don't mind the longer contact times personally and Im not in a rush to free up fermenter space. Then cold crash to 35 and transfer a day or two after.
This is quite a departure from the way I typically brew. All extract and little-to-no boil are both very foreign to me, but I'm hoping to experiment a little this year. The main questions I have are:
  1. How is Muntons Wheat DME? Im more familiar with Briess, but Muntons is the only wheat DME that Yakima Valley Hops has currently. Would I be best off using distilled water with no salt additions, or would a touch of calcium salts be appropriate? I tend to still like a bit of sulfate in my hoppy beers. I find the chloride heavy IPAs to be a tad too soft for my taste.
  2. Would I need to bring this to a boil at all, or would I be ok just taking it up to that 180-185F range and leaving it there? I typically boil with my immersion chiller in the kettle and a large stainless steel hop spider sitting inside the rings of the chiller. My thinking was 30 min @ >180F would likely be enough to sanitize things.
Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

How is Muntons Wheat DME? Im more familiar with Briess, but Muntons is the only wheat DME that Yakima Valley Hops has currently. Would I be best off using distilled water with no salt additions, or would a touch of calcium salts be appropriate? I tend to still like a bit of sulfate in my hoppy beers. I find the chloride heavy IPAs to be a tad too soft for my taste.
My limited experience with Muntons DME suggest that the information in this Brewers Friend topic (link) is a good starting point for flavor salt additions.

With Briess DME, my personal tastes limit gypsum (CaS04) to 0.5 grams / gallon. With Muntons (limited experience), I would start at that level and experiment with adding gypsum "in the glass".

Would I need to bring this to a boil at all, or would I be ok just taking it up to that 180-185F range and leaving it there? I typically boil with my immersion chiller in the kettle and a large stainless steel hop spider sitting inside the rings of the chiller. My thinking was 30 min @ >180F would likely be enough to sanitize things.
180F for 30 min will cover pasteurizing the DME.

Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
When all-grain brewers get delightful results (link) on their first batch brewing with extract, follow them (link) to get more information.

Thanks for the info! I may end up brewing something like this toward the end of winter so I can have it on to kick off spring weather.

Latest posts

Back