American IPA Single Wide IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 60 degrees F
Tasting Notes
This recipe turned out spot on with Boulevard\\'s Single Wide IPA.
This recipe turned out spot on with Boulevard's Single Wide IPA which I enjoy as a nice summer IPA.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 75.8 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 17.1 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
3.1 oz Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 6 1.5 %
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 52.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 m Yeast 8 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 3.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 6.29 gal water at 168.0 F

Did you add all your dry hop additions at the same time? Only 3 days?

If yes did you put them all in the same strainer bag or separate muslin bags?

All together at the same time in the same strainer bag. And they actually stay in for a week. I just forgot to update the recipe. I will fix that.

You have DME in the recipe is that just because you didn't hit gravity? It looks pretty damn good though.

I just didn't have any amber malt on hand like I thought I did so I subbed an equivalent amount of Amber DME to make up for it.

All together at the same time in the same strainer bag. And they actually stay in for a week. I just forgot to update the recipe. I will fix that.

Awesome. I might try this this weekend.

As far as the dme goes you could sub in either 6 oz of 2 row or Amber and get very similar results as it's such a minimal amount.

As far as the dme goes you could sub in either 6 oz of 2 row or Amber and get very similar results as it's such a minimal amount.

I was just going to ask! I think Beersmith will give you substitutions and alternatives but I haven't figured it all out yet. Thanks!

I'm giving it a go this weekend! I've never had their Single Wide IPA but the recipe looked really good. I subbed in the Amber Malt for the DME so we'll see how it goes!

So it's been in the FC for 6 days and I thought I'd report back my current thoughts. I missed my OG by about .013 or 13 points and ended up with 1.051 OG. I built a new mash tun and didn't have my boil off correct for my BK in beersmith.

All that side, the wort tasted good and I should still end up with about 5% ABV when it finishes. I've got about 7 more days before I throw in the dry hop additions. I have high hopes for this and will probably try it again if I like this batch. I'll report back again in a month or so on how it tastes. I'll be bottle conditioning so it will be awhile.

So it's been in the FC for 6 days and I thought I'd report back my current thoughts. I missed my OG by about .013 or 13 points and ended up with 1.051 OG. I built a new mash tun and didn't have my boil off correct for my BK in beersmith.

All that side, the wort tasted good and I should still end up with about 5% ABV when it finishes. I've got about 7 more days before I throw in the dry hop additions. I have high hopes for this and will probably try it again if I like this batch. I'll report back again in a month or so on how it tastes. I'll be bottle conditioning so it will be awhile.

Did you use the exact recipe. I'm curious what anybody's variations result in. I did this recipe a couple times and thought I was really close to cloning Single Wide but then I tried it with the Notty yeasts and that was the ticket.

I used your exact recipe except for the DME. I used .5 Lb Amber instead of the extract. That wasn't why I missed my numbers though. I was using way to much sparge water and I was calculating 2.5 gallons of boil off in Beersmith for some reason. I think it will be good. It looks like a solid IPA recipe anyway.

Very tasty recipe! My brothers loved this one too! Expensive to make with all the hops but well worth it. I'll be doing this one again!

It can be pretty pricy but I make it a lot so I cut the costs a little by just buying the hops by the pound and I always buy my grain in bulk in local bulk buys so my cost is down to about $15/batch. Glad you enjoyed the recipe.

Wow! It cost me about $40 for this at my LHBS! I've been looking into buying hops in bulk for this reason. It tastes a lot like the New Belgium Ranger IPA which I really like so this recipe will be added to my regular rotation. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Just brewed this again the other day with some changes. Instead of DME I toasted my own Amber malt from 2row and used 7oz of it and instead of centennial for bittering I used 1.5 oz magnum. I also wanted this one more hoppy so I added a 5 minute addition of an ounce each of centennial, cascade and simcoe.

Just brewed this again the other day with some changes. Instead of DME I toasted my own Amber malt from 2row and used 7oz of it and instead of centennial for bittering I used 1.5 oz magnum. I also wanted this one more hoppy so I added a 5 minute addition of an ounce each of centennial, cascade and simcoe.

Have you cracked one yet? I'm wondering how the changes worked out. Mostly the extra hop addition. My IPAs can't get hoppy enough! lol

Have you cracked one yet? I'm wondering how the changes worked out. Mostly the extra hop addition. My IPAs can't get hoppy enough! lol

I haven't. I took on teaching a few more classes at the university this semester and have kind of put off my beer. This is still sitting in the fermenter. I'll update once I get it done though.

Did you get this batch bottled yet? I'm still curious how the extra hop additions came out.

Did you get this batch bottled yet? I'm still curious how the extra hop additions came out.

Well I'm trying v2 of this right now. I would honestly have to say I hurt this beer waiting so long to bottle. I lost quite a bit of aroma. But the additional late hop additions contributed in a great way to the hop flavor overall. I'm not sure if it was the change in hops or the use of homemade Amber malt or just the extra time on the yeast cake that did it but this taste like an Odell ipa. Which is not a bad thing at all. Not what I was expecting but I'll take it. I may even continue making it this way.

Thank you for posting this. Single-wide is a staple in my fridge all year long. Better than a "session" but not heavy. A very clean beer that is good for any occasion.

Well I'm trying v2 of this right now. I would honestly have to say I hurt this beer waiting so long to bottle. I lost quite a bit of aroma. But the additional late hop additions contributed in a great way to the hop flavor overall. I'm not sure if it was the change in hops or the use of homemade Amber malt or just the extra time on the yeast cake that did it but this taste like an Odell ipa. Which is not a bad thing at all. Not what I was expecting but I'll take it. I may even continue making it this way.

Good to hear! I liked the original recipe a lot. I'm giving hops growing a shot this year so this beer can be made more often with "home grown" Centennial and Cascade!

Well if you need some of the hops for this recipe let me know and I'll sell you something cheap. I went a little overboard on my last order and have hops stored in every freezer in the house. Swmbo is not happy about that.

My LHBS has all the hops to make this recipe, some more expensive than others, but if your needing/wanting to offload some of your inventory at a reduced rate I might be interested in some! Shoot me a PM with your prices and I'll let you know if I want to get some from you. I'm just growing hops as an experiment really. It's been said its hard to do in Florida but I want to give it a shot anyway. My rhizomes should be here in the next week or so.

My LHBS has all the hops to make this recipe, some more expensive than others, but if your needing/wanting to offload some of your inventory at a reduced rate I might be interested in some! Shoot me a PM with your prices and I'll let you know if I want to get some from you. I'm just growing hops as an experiment really. It's been said its hard to do in Florida but I want to give it a shot anyway. My rhizomes should be here in the next week or so.

I'm not too pressed to get rid of them . Now I can at least tell swmbo that I tried. If I was really trying I would list them in the market area on here. Just thought I'd offer in case you needed some. Just because you mentioned before that this brew was costing you $40/ batch. But not really pushing to get rid of them.

If you live in FL you shouldn't have any trouble for growing hops. I tried here in NE and they did ok the first season but never came back second season so I just gave up on it.

Well hops are a northern growing species that need the freezing winter to send it into dormancy. We get freezes periodically here but it's going to be a 50/50 shot from the posts I've been reading. This recipe does cost me about $40 with all the hops that's in it, if I don't buy it bulk. I'm going to start buying hops from Hops Direct in the future to curb my IPA costs a little. I like supporting my LHBS though. If they go under, I'm pretty much out a hobby with the cost of grain shipping... I'll report back when I get around to filling a keg with this recipe again. Maybe April!

I entered this recipe in Brewsmith and scaled back to 2 gallons (dont hate, its simply my capacity at the moment) and for the second week in a row, I overshot my OG... WAY overshot my OG.

According to brewsmith I was supposed to hit 1.058 and I hit 1.082...

4 lbs 3.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 75.8 %
1 lbs 0.5 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.5 %
3.3 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
1.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.1 %

I targeted 2.5 gallons of post boil wort to fill two 1 gallon carboys and I ended up needing to add 2 cups of water to each carboy to get near the one gallon mark before pitching... means I still need to work on my boil off rate calculations quite a bit...

Im using BIAB and this is the second batch Ive used a nylon "sparge bag" instead of a muslin sack that came with my first kit... and its the second batch that has been WAY over OG target... Any thoughts on this, am I simply getting a WAY better efficiency than brewsmith thinks I can get, or what?

I entered this recipe in Brewsmith and scaled back to 2 gallons (dont hate, its simply my capacity at the moment) and for the second week in a row, I overshot my OG... WAY overshot my OG.

According to brewsmith I was supposed to hit 1.058 and I hit 1.082...

4 lbs 3.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 75.8 %
1 lbs 0.5 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.5 %
3.3 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
1.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.1 %

I targeted 2.5 gallons of post boil wort to fill two 1 gallon carboys and I ended up needing to add 2 cups of water to each carboy to get near the one gallon mark before pitching... means I still need to work on my boil off rate calculations quite a bit...

Im using BIAB and this is the second batch Ive used a nylon "sparge bag" instead of a muslin sack that came with my first kit... and its the second batch that has been WAY over OG target... Any thoughts on this, am I simply getting a WAY better efficiency than brewsmith thinks I can get, or what?

Efficiency can be affected by a lot of variables but the big things I can think of is how fine your grain crush might be and also just your equipment set up in general. I find having beersmith vs brewsmith to be more accurate once you create your equipment profile and have some time to get to know your equipment better so that you have an idea of your mean efficiency. It is not uncommon for some to get 85-90% efficiency when using biab. Take good notes every brew and after getting several under your belt with your current equipment set up you will be able to determine what efficiency you can expect and have your brewing software not only scale by size but also by efficiency so that you are getting what you expect. Me personally, with this batch, I would dilute it until I hit the desired efficiency and roll with it from there. :mug:

Efficiency can be affected by a lot of variables but the big things I can think of is how fine your grain crush might be and also just your equipment set up in general. I find having beersmith vs brewsmith to be more accurate once you create your equipment profile and have some time to get to know your equipment better so that you have an idea of your mean efficiency. It is not uncommon for some to get 85-90% efficiency when using biab. Take good notes every brew and after getting several under your belt with your current equipment set up you will be able to determine what efficiency you can expect and have your brewing software not only scale by size but also by efficiency so that you are getting what you expect. Me personally, with this batch, I would dilute it until I hit the desired efficiency and roll with it from there. :mug:

On second thought. Don't dilute it and just call it a double wide IPA.

I'm at 4/4 gallons in my mini fridge ferm chamber till I move and have more space, so it'll be double wide when all is said and done. I'm going to do some calculations but likely I'll at least change to 80% efficiency this next batch in two weeks

Back