Stone Mutt Brown Ale- Anyone tried to clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleBeardyBeer

Reaction score
Sat down to grub on some barbecue (Black Dog in Urbana, IL. Legit.) and asked the bartender what was new on tap. She poured me a Stone Mutt Brown Ale. I drank it. And then I drank another. And then another. Washed it down with some smoked pork belly. Wife had to roll me home. Its been a few weeks now, but I can't get that beer out of my head. I love brown ales anyway, but this was over the top! I looked around on the site but can't find anyone talking about it. Thoughts on a clone?

They did a piece about it on the Stone blog. The "mutt" thing refers to multiple influences and origins, walks the line between an altbier and a English brown. Mentions a "boatload" of vienna, some midnight wheat, and some honey malt. Turbinado sugar. Looks to be magnum for bittering, with EKG for the rest. Mentions a strong English yeast character. They use a proprietary yeast, correct? I could probably find that info if I looked harder. Perhaps these series deviate from that strain?

I don't have the palette nor the expertise to clone a beer, but I imagine that someone on this site has both, and might have some insight. Thoughts? Point me to the thread where this is already cloned? Cheers!:mug:

Wow, that sounds good, keep us updated if you find out any more about this. I haven't been to Urbana, IL. in many years.

Yeah, I am subbing to see if anyone comes up with a recipe - sounds delicious!

If anyone is interested in commenting on the recipe I'm working on please see the link above. I'll try a half batch of the next iteration in January or February unless someone else wants to give it a cracked.

Back