Thermowell setup for traditional carboy that lasts more than one fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolarchie

Reaction score
I thought I was slick with my modified 6 gal carboy orange cap with a thermowell stolen from a stopper setup for a budget version of this thing after taking advice from the board, but damn I was wrong. The orange cap worked great for one 7-day primary. The next time I used it, I thought I screwed something up as there was no airlock activity for over 24 hours. A little starsan spraw showed co^2 was just leaking around the cap, and it's done hugging tightly. I haven't been able to use a thermowell since then.

Also I got tired of using traditional bungs sliding out so I went for a universal setup with a 3-pc airlock like this. Works wonders for fermentation, but with this hot weather I'm back to getting 67-75ºF swings in the space where fermentation happens. I want to be able to lager again, and even for ales I'd rather move to a cooler space and let my inkbird control the temp to 67ºF. This will be even tougher with vacations and 50ºF indoor winter temps.

So, wise ones... what's an ironclad setup that will permit a thermowell brew after brew? Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a solid stopper with thermowell and drilled hole for blowoff tube for many, many brews now. I have multiple glass carboys, and this works like a champ on my 5, 5.5, and 6 gallon units. IIRC it cost me $19.95 my my LHBS

upload_2018-8-6_13-21-35.png

not sure what I'm missing in what you are asking for

The thermowell I stole from was exactly that - a 2-hole drilled bung - to create the modified orange cap unit was exactly like that... but the problem I have had is the slip out ridiculously easy even without active fermentation. I've even duct-taped them down, dried everything with a starsan-dipped cloth, etc. They just don't seem reliable especially when taking gravity readings later on when fermentation has died down. The universal bung solves this but lacks the second hole. I might order a better 2 hole stopper from these guys to try: https://www.homesciencetools.com/chemistry/lab-equipment/stoppers-corks/

Back