What to chose in 2020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbarouf

Reaction score
I have friends asking what I would recommend today, to get, that is as automated as possible, for all grain brewing. Batch size of 5 Gal. Newbies, so they would get my help, but to help them, they would need a way to program it for the proper mash schedule. Uploading of recipes is the preferred method if possible.

Objective is quality and easy to reproduce a recipe. Price, within limit, is no object.

With Picobrew being uncertain.... I would not recommend them today.

I like the Anvil Foundry, but it's not automated.
This leaves what... GrainFather, RoboBrew, Brewie, Braumeister, Brew Boss....and what?

What would one get today? Thanks for anyone's input.

Its hard to tell exactly what you are looking for as you state "as automated as possible", but you list a bunch of single vessel brewing appliances. Although these brew appliances fall into the "automated" category, they certainly lack lots of features if you are trying to be "as automated as possible". If you are trying to be "as automated as possible", then a custom built brewery is where its at. To control that, you are looking at expensive PLCs, or BruControl. Nothing else out there has the generic flexibility to automate all of the brewing and fermentation processes.

Its hard to tell exactly what you are looking for as you state "as automated as possible", but you list a bunch of single vessel brewing appliances. Although these brew appliances fall into the "automated" category, they certainly lack lots of features if you are trying to be "as automated as possible". If you are trying to be "as automated as possible", then a custom built brewery is where its at. To control that, you are looking at expensive PLCs, or BruControl. Nothing else out there has the generic flexibility to automate all of the brewing and fermentation processes.
I am using a PicoBrew and traditional Ss brew tech 3 vessel types. The picobrew draw lots of attention because of the picopacks. The concept of inserting ingredients then press a button is attractive to friends/relatives and folks i know. I can’t be there to brew for them. I could teach some, but not most.

so I faced a dilemma, which one should I recommend them? They are non brewers today. Grainfather comes up often. That can be a fairly automated option. The larger the less attractive the option becomes.

does this clarify a bit more?

Yes. It sounds more like you are looking more for the easiest to use brewing appliance for a beginner/non-brewer, not necessarily "as automated as possible".

I guess that would be correct. Easy through automation? Assuming the recipe you input is correct that is. Garbage in, garbage out.

Brewie is defunct. The rest are single vessel. If single vessel turnkey is your flavor, also check out BrewTools.

Ah yes... BrewTools. Does this allow upload from Brewfather now? I recall there were talks about this. I love the fact they can replace any part without having to replace the whole thing. Thinking of this, the 150L model would be a great option for me as well. Thanks, forgot about these guys. I see they have a US site as well now. 240V may not be the easiest for everyone, but it does fit the request.

Similar question so I figured I'd ask on this thread. I'm looking to build a 3 vessel E-HERMS system with an automated controller with something like a Pi. My problem is that I'm getting lost with all the different software options like craftbeerpi, brewpi, brewblox, etc. Whats the best software to go with a system like the one I'm trying to build. I'm leaning towards brewblox because of the sleek interface, but can't find many examples of people using it.

Also, do I need something like the brewpi spark 3 to go along with a Raspberry Pi or can I just use the GPIO ports on the pi.

Check out the new Spike single vessel system.

Thanks, looks good on paper. I would like to see a comparison with a Anvil Foundry. For new brewers, some automation to and monitoring like the BrewFather could be a good thing. For someone who want to learn manual brewing from the start, those are great. I would consider for myself for sure.

I've been using a BrewBoss single kettle eBIAB for almost 2 years now and I can't say enough good things about the product, the software, and especially the support. It can be as automated as you want it, from automatically filling the kettle with the right amount of water, breezing through a multi-step mash and on to boiling with automated hop additions and whirlpooling. And, if you ever have any questions or issues, Darin is there to help with nearly instant response and guidance. I have a 20 gallon system for making 10 gallon batches and I find myself doing a lot of 5 gallon batches. Although the 20 gallon system can also do 5 gallon batches as well, I find it may be more efficient to step down to a 15 gallon kettle. So, I bought the 15 gallon kettle and with a sale on the grain basket for 15 gallon kettles it was hard to resist. I already have the heating element, cables, and temperature probe, so it will be a simple matter of just switching out the kettles to brew either a 10 gallon batch to go into my SSBrewtech 14 gallon Chronical, or a 5 gallon batch to go into one of my SSBrewtech 7 gallon BrewBuckets. Since there is only one kettle, cleanup is a snap, especially with the clean-in-place (CIP) attachment. I have had several "systems" in the past, all the way from 3-tier gravity systems, to single-tier dual pump 3 kettle systems (what a pain that was to clean). After brewing for the last 6 years, I think I've finally found a system I can be happy with and want no other. That is a big deal when it comes to this kind of hobby which can be very equipment-intensive with seemingly endless updates, tweaks, and tinkering.

I assume if they are looking for easy automation, they are looking for a turnkey hardware solution as well. The Blichmann Breweasy would qualify. At least up until the cooling wort step.

Back