Finally got good results from 34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
For those that know, I have been complaining about 34/70. Just wanted to say I tasted my O-Fest today, which I pitch 2 sachets of 34/70, and after 4 weeks lager it actually taste good! Finally no off flavor. I need to put some CO2 to it now so I can get enjoy!

Cheers! :mug: :rock:

For those that know, I have been complaining about 34/70. Just wanted to say I tasted my O-Fest today, which I pitch 2 sachets of 34/70, and after 4 weeks lager it actually taste good! Finally no off flavor. I need to put some CO2 to it now so I can get enjoy!

what temps did you try it at . i had really good results with 34/70 at 54 degrees. i like that yeast a lot. and why would you be drinking october fest its may for gods sake. at least a maibock - sorry just kidding.

what temps did you try it at . i had really good results with 34/70 at 54 degrees. i like that yeast a lot. and why would you be drinking october fest its may for gods sake. at least a maibock - sorry just kidding.
HA! Should be year round beer!!

I had my chiller (finally) and set it for 52F for 7 days. Up'd to 59F for 2 days, up'd to 65F for 4 days. Crashed and lagered to 35F for 4 weeks. :)

Maybe my taster is worn out but in my experience I’ve fermented Weihenstephan yeast on different occasions at 52, 55, 58, 60, & 62 all for 7 days slowly ramping up to 66 over 4 days and hold at 66 for 3 day total 2 week fermentation. Honestly I noticed no difference in yeast character. Same thing with Diamond & CellarScience German. Not so much with S-23 I tried it at 60 in an amber and it just had something odd going on I can’t describe I guess maybe clean up front with a slight fruity finish I did much care for.

I have always got more fruitiness using S-23 than I wanted. Your fermenting schedule is the same as mine and I too get good results with that.

s-23 .....no

34/70 much cleaner much more tolerant . i agree it makes great beer at ale temps. however i have done split batch side by side and the diference is noticable. id like to say its preconceived bias but i have given it to others who say the cold fermented tastes better. the one thing i will say is that with time the warm fermented will clean up and catch up to the cold.

this has been my experience.

s-23 .....no

34/70 much cleaner much more tolerant . i agree it makes great beer at ale temps. however i have done split batch side by side and the diference is noticable. id like to say its preconceived bias but i have given it to others who say the cold fermented tastes better. the one thing i will say is that with time the warm fermented will clean up and catch up to the cold.

this has been my experience.
Yeah that probably speaks more to my process. I usually try give it few weeks in the keg cold conditioning before we pull any so I may not notice it on the warmer ones.

yes i would have a hard time telling the difference between 34/70 at 64 vs 54 if the beer was cold conditioned for a few weeks .

yes i would have a hard time telling the difference between 34/70 at 64 vs 54 if the beer was cold conditioned for a few weeks .
I’ve tried this a few times in the past for a quick cream ale with 34/70. It wasn’t squeaky clean but was a good quick cream ale in my op

Pitch yeast in 65 degree wort
Set fermentation chamber to 62 for 3 days
The ramp up to 67 for 4 days then keg
Carb & Cold Crash at 35 for 2 weeks.

I think I'm in the know 😂 Good to hear! My money is still that you've got a palate sensitive to diacetly (I think it was). I've seen a lot of variation in sensitivity to it. I think that's not a terrible problem to have, though. Just need to dial in the process that gives you the beer you want. Would drink a good O-fest any day of the year. Am thinking I would enjoy drinking yours:mug:

Back