forgot to add wholfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale over the weekend and realized i forgot to add it,
Will it be a simple case of adding finings to the fermenter once it has finished?
Or will it still drop clear once cold crashed?

Thanks guys.
I don't usually worry about this sort of stuff but its good to know.
Dan

reassuring, thanks.
i know some people cant brew without it, and other dont care. i learnt to always use it tho, part or my schedule i guess.

Understood. I cruise these forums to gain an understanding of the concepts behind what is "usually done" so I can decide what's right for myself. I hope that the experience I shared helped you along that road as well.

I use my phone's alarm clock while brewing. My alarm with 15 minutes remaining in the boil says "Add chiller and whirlifloc." Because I tend to forget, the alarm for 13 minutes remaining says "Seriously - Add the Whirlifloc."

I forgot to add Whirlifloc to a recent small batch boil. Tempted to fuggedaboudit, but one of the reasons for my small batch was to improve clarity in an experimental beer. I had already turned the burner off, but turned it back on and threw in the appropriate amount of Whirlifloc. I brought it back to a wimpy boil for three minutes or so, hoping to at least have done a little something in the direction of better clarity. Since it was a small batch and I was boiling on my stovetop, my wort was already pretty reduced and I didn't want to lose any more to evaporation, hence the quick, wimpy boil when I knew better. Still, I was really surprised not to see any effect whatsoever from the Whirlifloc either right away or a week into primary. I'm aware that one doesn't want to add Whirlifloc too soon or risk denaturing it, but it would appear that a hard boil really is key here, as well as the recommended duration of 10 minutes in the boil.

+1 to not worrying about it. If you do have a clarity issue later, you can always fine with gelatin.

Last edited:
fwiw, I used to use rehydrated Irish Moss but last year switched to Whirlfloc tabs which works about as well. I'll say in both cases the results are quite variable, but fortunately, nothing that time won't fix...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back