American Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robc311

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a pretty basic American Wheat and wanted feedback on the hops and yeast. Here's the recipe I'm planning to use:

6 lbs Wheat DME
1oz Hallertau for 60 min
1oz Saaz for 15 min
Zest of 2 oranges and a pound of honey at flameout

Yeast...I have US-05, US-04, S-33, and Munton's Active Brewing yeast...not sure which to use.

I'm also wondering about the hops...I don't want this to be very hoppy...does my recipe sound pretty mild in the hops department? I plan to do 3lbs DME for the full 60min using 2.5 gallons of water and add the rest of the DME at flameout to try and get a lighter color. I'll top off to get to my 5 gallon total.

It looks fine. It won't be too hoppy but the oz of Saaz will be noticeable. I would go with US-05, but the other yeast wouldn't be bad either

It sounds pretty good to me also. I usually uses some steeping grains but I don't know what I would add....

I too would go with the US05. It is cleaner than the rest. S-04 would be more of a British ale. S-33??

you could steep some victory malt or some red wheat malt with that, would give it more depth.

Back