Anchor closing?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One has to expect new ownership will not run Anchor the way it was run into its (albeit temporary, from current appearances) demise. Something has to change for its second life to be successful...

Cheers!
I'm very curious to see what happens. I thought that a lot of what brought about their downfall was just being located in San Fran; wonder if they'll open another facility someplace where costs are cheaper and keep San Fran as a tap room or something.

The CEO of Chobani(yogurt guy) bought Anchor Brewing and claims he will keep it going. Might get some interesting sours going. :)

I'm very curious to see what happens. I thought that a lot of what brought about their downfall was just being located in San Fran; wonder if they'll open another facility someplace where costs are cheaper and keep San Fran as a tap room or something.
Not all problems in business can be solved by cost cutting. Anchor needs to change with the times and come out with some new products. Sam Adams reportedly makes more money on their twisted tea and truly hard seltzer than they do on beer.

I fully expect them to try some new product lines. I assume the Chobani guy has a good plan to make it all work or else he wouldn't have bought them - but then that's probably what Sapporo thought too lol.

Well I'll have to source some wlp810 locally here and get a steam beer brewed for the occasion!

I fully expect them to try some new product lines. I assume the Chobani guy has a good plan to make it all work or else he wouldn't have bought them - but then that's probably what Sapporo thought too lol.
Yeah, I am not sure what I would suggest as a strategy.

Anchor Christmas Ale is a unique beer that a lot of beer geeks around the country would seek out. I would often pick up a 6-pack when I saw it for sale. Keeping that in the rotation for national distribution seem wise.

I am not sure what strategy will work for Anchor Steam. It probably has enough popularity for national distribution, but it might also be an outdated product that will struggle nationally (like it seems to have done on the past). They could just double down on it being a Bay-area unique beer.

Outside of tap room and local sales, I am not sure that Anchor should go hard on standard lagers or hazy IPAs (which it seems like the direction they were moving). Was their "California Lager" brewed with the same yeast as Anchor Steam? I could see some market for a few beers (Pale Lager, Hoppy Lager, Cold/West Coast IPA, Blonde) made with their house 'lager' yeast.

Anchor Porter was a fav of mine that I would like to see back in distribution (same for Sierra Nevada Porter). I have not had Liberty Ale in a while. Is there a huge market for a 5.9% Cascade hopped Pale Ale these days? Maybe locally, but likely not nationally.

Latest posts

Back