What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned and rebuilt 6 kegs, moved the Barley Wine from barrel to keg-added some Scotch to the barrel, moved the Hibiscus Wheat Saison into a keg with Guava puree as a priming sugar-added Gin to that barrel, made 6G of Pear-Agave Cider. Everything took longer than expected because, well, homebrewing and unexpected repairs/maintenace.

Did not keg the IPA because I really couldn't take any more surprises and extended tasks.

Set up four carboys for soft-crashing, then made four of these:

1715546306390.png

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/carboy-bung-retainer.732412/#post-10371331

Cheers!

Today I brewed 21 litres of Old Hooky Bitter clone, the original is brewed in Hook Norton near Oxford. My recipe is
3700g Maris Otter
300g Flaked Maize
200g Medium Crystal Malt
35g Black malt
30g Challenger at 60m
25g Fuggles at 15m
30g Bramling Cross at 80C whirlpool 20m
Nottingham style yeast.
OG 1046 so expect an ABV 4.5%

Dry-hopped two batches/four carboys. No big whoop :)

Then (OT) subjected myself to the hottest day of 2024 to see if I could manage the rototiller in the veggie garden (I could) and then turn a couple of inches in between the foundation plantings (pita but got that done, too). Managed not to tear anything up that's still healing - A Good Thing ;)

Cheers!

Sniffed the Pear-Agave Cider. It's a little egg-farty, but that could be a couple things. I used a new wine yeast for this batch, so maybe it sulfurs up naturally. Or, and I realized this after I was worried the lag time might be too long, I didn't look at the ingredients for the FAJC (it was just hanging out in the freezer unused) I threw in and there may have been preservatives or something that has stressed the yeast.

Either way, it's ripping along and I may add some extra sugars in form of more Pear or Prickly Pear juices. Note to self, buy organic, JackA$$!

Sniffed the Pear-Agave Cider. It's a little egg-farty, but that could be a couple things. I used a new wine yeast for this batch, so maybe it sulfurs up naturally. Or, and I realized this after I was worried the lag time might be too long, I didn't look at the ingredients for the FAJC (it was just hanging out in the freezer unused) I threw in and there may have been preservatives or something that has stressed the yeast.

Either way, it's ripping along and I may add some extra sugars in form of more Pear or Prickly Pear juices. Note to self, buy organic, JackA$$!
That can be fixed if it doesn’t dissipate on its own. Sounds delicious.

Fermentation of my three grain Saison is well underway so started getting some heat on it, ramping up to 26°C over the next 2 days. Always forget what a monster Belle can be in early fermentation, glad I'm using the all-rounder with a good 10L of headspace.

Cleaned out my kicked British IPA keg and CO2 purged my other spare at the same time so I'm all ready to transfer the Saison when it's chewed down to 1.008 or thereabouts.

Gotta say having done mostly big IPAs recently it was very refreshing to do a brew with a 1.055 OG using the smaller malt pipe and with no need for the boiler extension. Certainly makes removing the grain basket for sparging a lot easier. And despite the grain bill being 35% wheat and rye, no difficulties in mash or sparge and slightly overshot my targets.

Back