English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our brewing club has an annual group experiment where everybody brews the same base recipe but with one specific aspect that everyone has to do differently.

This year the different aspect is sugar. The assumption was a saison as the base recipe, but I'd like to propose something English, as most folks don't realize the amount of sugar traditionally used.

That said, does anyone have suggestions on a recipe or style that will let us easily notice and compare different sugars? My gut feeling was a pale mild or minimally hopped bitter, but I'm not sure what other options exist.
I think your idea of a pale mild is an excellent one.

I just posted this topic to “General Homebrew Discussion”, but this seems like the right group of folks to direct it to. I’ve begun reading this thread but I’m afraid I’ve only gotten to 2015 or so (!). Lots of great information! If you have any suggestions, maybe write them over there to keep them all together and not sidetrack this thread too much. Thanks!

Other post:
“Hi! My wife and I have been in the UK for a couple weeks and we’ll be here for a few more while we hike Hadrian’s Wall West to East and then the West Highland Way south to north. What beers should we try and where should we try them to gather intelligence and inspiration for brewing back home?”
Ask @Northern_Brewer !

Some suggestions from me:

Twice Brewed in Hexham- they have a taproom and B&B.

Hadrian Border in Newcastle.

Muckle looks decent but I've not tried their beers. Think they're Haltwhistle way.

Holy Goat are in Dundee, some of the best sours and mixed fermentation beers in the world IMO.

There's about half a dozen decent breweries Glasgow way.

Otherworld are out of the way in Dalkeith but plenty of bottle shops in Scotland stock them, they brew some excellent beers.

Also try Glengoyne distillery.

After passing through Heddon on the Wall, the route goes south to walk along the River Tyne and just before the village of Newburn is The Keelman. Rooms can be booked there, but it is also the home of the Big Lamp Brewery. Their beers are wonderful, and of course are fresh and in perfect condition.

Back