I'm relaxed, I'm not worrying and I'm making home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Hey all!

Cheesefood is the handle (Cheese is the informal, CF is the lazy version) but the real name is Robb. I'm from Schaumburg, Illinois (NW of Chicago) but also lived in Joliet, Chicago, Peoria, Addison and Carol Stream. Never outside of Illinois.

Anyway, I'm a noob at beer making but not at drinking it. I'm a fan of all types of beer, from the mass-produced Miller Lite to the beershake that is Guiness, and every malty, hoppy variety in between. Wheat's are my current fave, but I also like a nice lager or pilsner. I jjust love beer.

Outside of drinking, I'm in Marketing for my career, which means that I do print and web design and web development. More than happy to help out whenever I can, beit giving some Photoshop tips to helping write a PHP script.

I'm a student at Loyola University in Chicago where I'm working on my MBA. I have a wife who's supportive of my alcoholic hobby even though she can't drink these days cuz I knocked her the hell up. She's due in December. I'm thinking of naming a beer Afterbirth Ale to give out to everyone when the kid is born instead of cigars.

My first original recipe beer is described in the Noob forum. I'm calling it "Dingleskid Wheat".

ORRELSE said:
LOL...you're a hoot....

So are you a Bears fan then? With a name like cheesefood you should be a Packer fan!

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, Da Losers. And by that, I mean Da Bears and Da Cubs.

I live in Schaumburg, right by the Woodfield mall. My local dealer...I mean HBS...is Brew & Grow. Prices are OK, not great, but it's only 10 minutes away and they've been able to answer a lot of questions.

My gear right now consists of the Brewer's Best kit (two buckets, a capper, a siphon tube, hygrometer, econolock, scrub brush, thermo, racking cane and bottling wand) and a 22 qt stainless steel pot from Walmart ($45). Yeah, it's nothing special. I'll probably pick up a glass carboy soon (if my wife doesn't start asking too many questions about how much I've spent vs. how much it would have cost to buy beer from a store).

OK, confession time. I've put a bottle of my first brew in the fridge tonight because I'm dying to see how it tastes. I should really let it condition another week or two, but I'm impatient.

And does anyone else get giddy when they see bubbles in their airlock? I could watch that damn thing all day.

Same kit I got for Christmas, except mine didn't come with a thermo. I bought a carboy while my first batch was still in primary.

One thing you must learn.....patience. I drank my whole first batch green. I've since learned to give them some time to mature. I've been using a blowoff with my last few batches during primary.....I love hearing that "bloop, bloop" when I walk into my kitchen in the morning. :D

Afterbirth Ale? Come on , Man! That's a little heavy , don't you think? How about Placenta Pilsner ? Or maybe Maternity Marzen? Baby Bock? New Baby Bitter? How about ..... O.K., I ran out. Afterbirth Ale sounds O.K. Not to be too crude ( too late ! ) , But I'd make it a red ale.

So ashamed of myself,
Sudsmonkey :(

Cheesefood said:
OK, confession time. I've put a bottle of my first brew in the fridge tonight because I'm dying to see how it tastes. I should really let it condition another week or two, but I'm impatient.

And does anyone else get giddy when they see bubbles in their airlock? I could watch that damn thing all day.

I'm very impatient as well. Once you get one in the bottle make sure you have another batch going. Once you have a steady stream it's easier to not drink the young beer. It's kinda like when I get fixated on something I really like and my wife has to show me something shiny to distract me away from whatever I'm about to spend hundreds of dollars on.

I like the bubbles too. Kinda like that "star field" Windows screensaver, I'll watch it for hours if not for the--ooh, shiny!

Back