Best method for "an acid beer" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

505-Brewer

Reaction score
My Consecration clone never soured. I fed it maltodextrin (~3.5 oz per 5 ga) l, threw in some dregs and it kicked up with crazy fierce big ass bubbles screaming up from the cake.
Its at 1.002 pH ~4.0. Huge new brett lambicus like flavor and aroma (again) but not sour. So.......

I want to make a very acidic beer to blend it with. Whats the best approach? Pure pedio followed by brett or pure pedio then blend with the Consecration which is loaded w brett? Use Cascade brewing sour dregs, jolly pumpkin, ?????
Prefer a clean lactic (not lysergic) but really dont know if lacto alone will get me there.

Any suggestions?

Cascade or JP would work, or a pure culture of Brevis. I've had the best success with yogurt starters in a sour wort situation. I got 3.0 ph just pitching 1/4 cup whey (from Greek Gods yogurt) into 7 gal of wort and setting it in front of a heat vent for a week. I did adjust to 4.5 oh initially with lactic acid, mostly because it was a no-boil. The resulting beer is a good blender, though I'm kinda into it by itself (super clean, very sour). My wife thinks it's too much. I'd think pedio would take forever and have too many biproducts that would have to clean up. It'd be another long term beer just to blend with one that's pretty much done.

I have a brevis culture, JP dregs and soon to have Cascade. I tried a sour beer with oud bruin blend (tart but not sour, what a waste). I'll try the brevis and mash low.

Back