Best option for portable C02 for Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishheadmi

Reaction score
I posted this over in the kegging forum, but received no replies so I figured I'd try here in equipment...

I just ordered a cannonball mini keg system through Northern Brewer's recent 20% off sale. I plan on using the included regulator with a soda setup and purchasing a new, more portable C02 system to use with the cannonball.

I'm looking for an easily portable unit, the cannonball keg is just shy of 11" tall and about 9" in diameter. I just so happen to have a round cooler that will fit the keg and a small C02 tank perfectly. Now...what I have to decide is what C02 system is best.

I won't be doing any carbing with this system, so I'm looking strictly for serving. I've looked at this mini regulator for use with the disposable cartridges...

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BALL-...TOR-P3932.aspx

Looks cool, but my concern is going through dozens of cartridges...at about $5/pop they'll add up quick. Also, I'm not clear on whether or not there's a shutoff on this regulator...so, not sure if I can dispense my 1.75 gallon cannonball, then switch the regulator to another keg and keep going. If not, I'd be using a full cartridge per cannonball, which wouldn't be efficient at all.

Another option I'm considering is a paintball tank with regulator. Williams has a small version, similar to the one above...

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PAINT...TOR-P3933.aspx

But I'm thinking if I'm going with a paintball tank I might just as well go with something more substantial, like this:

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapt...ge_p_2635.html

Actually, that's the way I'm leaning, but I'm not finding any "midsize" paintball tanks...I'd like to find a "squatty" or "low-profile" tank that would be around the same height of the cannonball keg to fit in the same cooler (my limiting factor is more height than width/diameter). Does anyone know of any "shorty" C02 tanks? I see a couple 7 oz tanks that might work, but they seem awfully small...any idea how much beer one could push with a 7 or 9 oz tank? Refilling is not impossible, but not easy in my area.

Any input or suggestions?

I have the Adapter II regulator and am pretty happy with it. I don't have much space and move frequently so I needed something that would work for serving a naturally carbed 2.5 gallon keg in the fridge without taking up a ton of space. This has worked well for me. I use 20 oz paintball tanks and can push about 5-6 2.5 gallons kegs with it. I also have one of those keg chargers (without the regulator part) and I use that to push beer from my primary fermentor (5 gallon keg) to my serving keg (2.5) as well as to purge the system. I go thru a little more than one cartridge to do that. Hope that helps

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PAINT...TOR-P3933.aspx
I have a slightly different version of the mini regulator i use for my porttable sutup, and well as alot of moving beer through kegs in my brewery. I have used it to carb, and just dispense beer. I have a 9 oz tank and a 20 oz tank i use mostly for mobile, and 24-30 oz tanks for around the house. I would absolutly recommend the mini regulator, its size is nice and small, it looks like it was milled from a single piece of stock, and the tank screws in from the bottom, feels much more stout than the painball adapter to the larger regulator i used to use. I currently have 4 paintball tanks, and am fortunately able to get them filled easily. I also use it as a backup for my main kegerator if my if my main tank runs out. and in a reall pinch, there are many places that sell and fill paintall tanks.
The min regulator was a great solution for me, with its size price, and construction, it works well in my brewery.

I use a 20 oz. paintball cylinder, aluminum adapter, and normal double gauge regulator. You could attach / strap the paintball cylinder to the side of the cooler, run the tubing through a hole in the top / side.

I use a 9oz tank with the adapter for a normal regulator as well. It lasts a while. Double check all your local sporting goods stores as I was surprised who offered co2 refills.

Back