Detach a keg from a faucet when there is still beer in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st0neski

Reaction score
Hope there is a simple solution to this. Is it possible to detach a keg from the faucet if there is still beer in the line without spilling beer all over the place? I am sure its something simple and I am overlooking something.

I find (witnessed last night actually) since the other end of the line is connceted to a disconnect that is keeping it shut, when you take the tubing off the shank, it will not run out. I usually set a glass and sit the end in that if I have to work on the faucet, but only a few drops, if anything, will come out. Just disconnect the ball lock from the keg first, then remove the connector from the shank and you'll be fine. Even if it does all run out, it's just a few ounces in the line that you can catch in a cup.

Huh?

:confused:

Uh, the poppet valve closes off the keg when you remove the liquid or gas connector.

There are also valves in the disconnects to prevent beer from running out that end.

If you mean on the tap side, your best bet is to remove the disconnect and let it drain out there.

so if I just take the connector off the pin lock on the keg, the beer wont come out of the line?

I know if wont come out of the keg, but I am just thinking of the stuff in the line going tot he faucet

I guess not, since I can just take the connector off the gas line and co2 doesn't come spraying out. If I would have just thought a little harder, I would have come to realize that.

I guess not, since I can just take the connector off the gas line and co2 doesn't come spraying out. If I would have just thought a little harder, I would have come to realize that.

Yes, try harder.;) Just pop off the liquid out as mentioned, and unscrew the faucet. You will get a little dribbling, but not much.

Yes, try harder.;) Just pop off the liquid out as mentioned, crack open the tap with a glass under it, then unscrew the faucet. You will get a little dribbling, but not much.

I'd take the gas line off as well and depressurize the keg. Normally won't happen, but I've definitely had the out poppit stick open and wound up with a beer fountain :(

Back