Garbage can fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Built a fermentation chamber out of a garbage can, 32 gallon brute can. Right now for this time of year all i need is a little bit of heating so, i did this, it would also be really easy to insulate with a blanket over the top. I have a heater stick for a gun safe as a heat source, works just fine and is only like 8 watts. plus the garbage can was easy to use. And no the garrbage can was one i had never used for garbage.
100_2159.JPG

100_21581.JPG

I was trying to think of how to cool it, don't think it would take much, plus a few blankets and its well insullated, small area to keep cool. you could also maybe do the whole swamp cooler thing. but if nothing else, upside down garbage can makes a great base for a fermentation chamber.

I am using my Plasma TV box (42") and a space heater with a thermostat I picked up at Lowes for 29.99. I put a blanket over the top of the box and even with it being 30-40 in my garage the thick cardboard and blanket does a good job of insulating! I can keep it at 65 on up with little heat input from the heater.

The space heater was bought originally to heat the room we will bathe our soon to be born baby, but thats only like once a day....

This is a really good idea! I'd like to have a ferm chamber to lager the odd batch in and this would be the real deal if the was a way to cool it. Small ac unit could work I guess, don't see any reason why it couldn't work, might use more power but that's ok.

Take 2 x 12v pc fans.
Mount them inside the bin, one low down, sucking in air, the other near the top, blowing out, and with a small (lightly weighted) flap to vent out.
Easily controlled with STC-1000 or similar.
Once the external temp is lower than the Ferm Chamber, this should achieve the desired result.

Latest posts

Back