Growing hops near Midland Texas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkTom

Reaction score
Anyone growing hops in Texas? I’m hoping to move in the next year or so, so just dreaming...
Cheers

I live in Utah, so I know some of the challenges.

Midland is hot and dry, even for the southwest. I spent a couple of weeks there and growing conditions are pretty harsh. I'm not sure I even saw native prairie grasses.

Your best bet would be neomexicanus hops (native to the US southwest). As far as I know, the only source for neomexicanus hops is great lakes hops, although I haven't checked in some time. They only sell plants, not rhizomes. I think that as time goes on, there may be people here with rhizomes to sell or trade.

Even with neomexicanus plants, you'll need to water to get them established. My brother in TX bought 4 plants and didn't water them. Only one lived, and it's not doing well.

I've killed 3 (still have one). I killed two by fertilizing as I would other hops. One died over winter (ironically, it's the variety that is supposed to be most winter resistant).

For the best chance at success, plant them as early as you can, water them regularly the first year, and hope for the best.

@bpgreen , thanks for the reply. I have to sell my house... before I can move. I’m just daydreaming in the mean time. I will plant some just for grins. I like plants. Hopefully I’ll be motivated to get the things done on my place so I can get it listed.
Cheers

Back