Overshot water quantity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
Only my second all grain brew. Many extracts but I'm still trying to dial in my water consumption and equipment loss. Anyways I over shot by almost two gallons. Do I try and boil it all down, or just go with what's the the bk? Thanks.

Chill a sample in ice water for a few mins and check gravity. If it's significantly lower than desired, boil another 30 mins or soil.

I agree with both suggestions. The only potential problem with boiling for longer than planned is that it will affect the bitterness for those hops already added. If you added bittering hops at 60 minutes and then boil for 30 additional minutes, you will have increased the IBU's. That may not be a big deal depending on how much hops you added and when.

The third option is to just live with it and know your beer is weaker than planned, but that you have more of it. If it tastes good, who cares if its 7% or 5% ABV?

I agree with both suggestions. The only potential problem with boiling for longer than planned is that it will affect the bitterness for those hops already added. If you added bittering hops at 60 minutes and then boil for 30 additional minutes, you will have increased the IBU's. That may not be a big deal depending on how much hops you added and when.

The third option is to just live with it and know your beer is weaker than planned, but that you have more of it. If it tastes good, who cares if its 7% or 5% ABV?

This isn't likely to have much impact since by 60 minutes pretty much all the hop oils will have been isomerized. Any later additions will be impacted though. Adding DME or LME would be the better practice but choose the malt extract that is closest to the mix of grains you used for flavor. I probably wouldn't use a dark DME for an IPA nor an extra light for a stout.

Back