question on fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
I started a batch of mead, based on Curt Stock's Super Berry Mead from BrewingTV, a week ago. but what I didn't read or see on that episode is how long should I leave the fruit in?

I've been removing the fruit almost daily to aerate, add staggered nutrient, give the bag a squeeze, introduce oxygen etc.

the bag has drastically decreased in size over the past week, I'm just curious how long I should leave the fruit in, I though I read somewhere that after a week it should be pretty well ravaged and removed from the batch but I can't remember where I read that.

thanks

Just wait till the gravity gets as low as 1.010 or lower. Any time after that you can rack and/or remove fruit. I usually wait until fermentation is over. For some recipes that can be 2 weeks. For things like JOAM it takes 3 months before your ready to rack off the fruit. As said before. Mead is pretty forgiving.

Thanks everyone! Fermentation is still going strong and the fruit is still in the mix. Made plenty of wine and I assumed this was similar but had a little nervous moment on how long to leave it in. Tomorrow marks two weeks. I'll check the hydro reading then. Cheers. And thanks again.

Latest posts

Back