Quick question about sanitation and March pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been spending the better part of the last few months assembling parts and building a brew stand. It's a 3 tier gravity system with a nice blichmann boil kettle. I added a pump and therminator along with an outflow temp probe at the back of the chiller, and finally I also installed a whirlpool fitting in the boil kettle.

My question is how does one ensure that the pump is clean? I bought it used on this site and it actually appears to be new. I was thinking of getting my boil kettle up to a rolling boil with water and just running the pump for a while. I'm planning on my first batch this weekend and I wasn't quite sure how I'm going to deal with clean up afterwards.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to over think this, but I've been trying to keep up with sanitation whenever I brew; seems that's an easy way to blow a good brew.

Thanks in advance.

I run a few gallons of hot water w/ Sani-cleanse through my pump as a part of my clean up routine after brewing. Same thing should work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I run pbw and then water through my pump to clean my lines and pump. Once a year I open the pump head (screws on the pump head) and inspect everything, and make sure it is all clean. I always sanitize my pump with heat, by recirculating my wort during the whirlpool and a few minutes before flameout, preboil sanitation is not an issue.

Back