Beer in gas lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abciximab

Reaction score
I have a 4 line kegerator. I was force carbonating a new keg and forgot to vent it before I turned on the valves to the other kegs. The pressure from the new keg causes a back flow into the gas lines of the others, now I see foam/beer in the gas lines. Will letting the gas run normally into all the kegs clear it the lines out or do I need to take off the gas lines, clean and dry them?
Thanks in advance!

I would definitely tear the gas system down and at least flush the beer out of the lines and manifold with warm water...
Although not much will grow under CO2, for good measure I would use a cleaner, rinse, and sanitize them too.
then shake out and let (air) dry thoroughly, before reassembling.

If in a hurry to dry, a hair dryer can be used at its cold air setting (don't use heat!!!).
Just put all the hose inlets (or outlets) together in a bundle, and aim the hair dryer's nozzle at them. Use some cloth wrap (or tape) to reduce air leaks.

If you have a spare clean and sanitized keg handy; fill it with clean sanitary warm water, pressurize it high, lay it on its side (gas post down at the bottom), disconnect your regulator and flush the lines with it, reconnect to the regulator and blow CO2 through each of the linesto purge.
That's what I did anyway... and then I bought one of these:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/co2distrib4mfl.htm
:mug:

Back