Kegerator not cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesy_Goodness

Reaction score
Hoping someone else has run into this issue.

Long story short, my Igloo cooler isn't cooling anymore (FRF1050). When I plug it in it sounds like the compressor is trying to kick on for about 5 seconds or so, then it makes a single click noise and stops. It'll continue doing that without actually cooling.

I'm almost certain it's the start relay and the overload switch just based on the symptoms. I took them off and sure enough both of them sounds like there's something loose inside when they're shaken.

The problem is I can't find anywhere that has Igloo freezer parts. It looks like I can by both fairly easily and for only about $10, but does anyone know if there'd be a problem buying parts that are "close enough?" The replacements I'm looking at don't say anything about working with my freezer but they look awfully similar (but not identical).

Here's what I'm looking at https://www.zoro.com/elkay-comp-overload-relay-for-elkay-and-ht-31039c/i/G2354301/#description
Pics of my actual defective parts in next post

IMG_0608.jpg

Throwing this out there in case someone runs into the same issue

I went ahead and picked up the replacements and they seem to be working beautifully. The compressor kicked on immediately after I plugged it in and within an hour the interior walls were frozen. I'll need to play with my controller and get it to cycle on less often since I think that contributed to the parts failing. It's in a really hot garage in the SC heat.

Back