Liquid yeast no starter or brew next week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesy_Goodness

Reaction score
My original plan was to get a starter going today on a stir plate, brew today, and pitch sometime tomorrow or late tonight.
I used up the last of my DME making a starter, and managed to get some dirty water in there (by being a ******* and not paying attention), and I didn't feel confident on the water being very sanitary. LHBS is a hassle to get to where I live now so picking up some more isn't really a great option.

Anyway, what would you do? Brew on as planned and pitch the vial or sit on it yet another week and get a starter going?

The recipe is 5 gallons of BYO's Founder's breakfast stout clone, target OG being 1078 and the best by date on the yeast is December.

You can always mash a lb or so of grain in a bag on the stove, if you've got bulk grain but no DME. I've made all grain starters before, and it really doesn't take that much time.

For a beer that big, I would strongly suggest making a starter.

Thanks, that was my fear.

You can always mash a lb or so of grain in a bag on the stove, if you've got bulk grain but no DME. I've made all grain starters before, and it really doesn't take that much time.

That would be a great option if I had more 2 row. This whole situation is making me think it would be worth sacrificing a brew week one of these days and just can a bunch of starters. At least that way I can see how much I have from week to week and it'll be harder to accidentally run out.

Why dont you just reboil the starter to sanitize it? Maybe I'm missing something here...
That would be a good option if it was just a bit, but I more than doubled the volume.
In a nutshell, my starter wort was in a shallow pan. I filled up an enameled dutch oven that was in the sink that was used for baking bread (so it was basically clean but not washed yet) with water. I had to hold the starter pan to keep it from dumping over and filling with the bath water while I stirred, but I messed up and dipped below the water line.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like next week is probably the best option.

Turns out there was another option: having an awesome wife who happened to be the area of LHBS :ban:
Just about ready to pitch.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Back