My next brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I am thinking of going with a recipe I found here, but wondering what you all think. The recipe as written calls for 8lbs of Marris Otter, has an OG of 1.046 and an ABV of about 4.6%. I was thinking of kicking the Marris Otter up a bit to 9lbs to get the OG up to 1.051 and the ABV to about 5.1%. If I do that, will it change the flavor profile? I am using Lalleman IPA yeast and have about 50 IBU's. Here is the whole recipe:

https://share.brewfather.app/Tg49h6TXdRgmZd

Any input would be appreciated. My LHBS store opens at 10AM PST, so no pressure. LOL

Interesting session IPA for sure. I think you'd notice more of a difference if you upped the ABV to 7%+, otherwise if you're keeping it lower, than everything looks fine to me.

I'm a fan of simple recipes. I find that it helps you pinpoint flavors easier if you intend to brew it more than once and refine it to your tastes. IMO Marris Otter and Golden Promise serve a similar role so I would eliminate one. Otherwise looks good and up to your discretion with how much you increase the OG. If you want to maintain the same character as the original recipe just scale the bittering hops accordingly to give you the same BU/GU ratio. Also my opinion that you didn't ask for but 0.99 may come across quite bitter in a lower gravity beer.

I'm a fan of simple recipes. I find that it helps you pinpoint flavors easier if you intend to brew it more than once and refine it to your tastes. IMO Marris Otter and Golden Promise serve a similar role so I would eliminate one. Otherwise looks good and up to your discretion with how much you increase the OG. If you want to maintain the same character as the original recipe just scale the bittering hops accordingly to give you the same BU/GU ratio. Also my opinion that you didn't ask for but 0.99 may come across quite bitter in a lower gravity beer.
Thanks for the post. I have never used the BU guide, not sure I even know what that means. I have always gone with the IBU. So, what I did was lower the time on the hopstand and that brought the BU down to about .78. In your opinion am I getting closer to the mark?

I am looking to make a less bitter IPA style beer. Most everything I have done has been in the 50 to 60 IBU's in my IPA's. This will be my first beer with a hop stand as well, so I want to go into it easy. LOL.

Boy did things go south on me today. I decided to try my hand at using my Inkbird thermometer instead of the thermo in my kettle. I was all over the place. At one point I was at 160 and then I was at 151. So, with that said, who knows what this is going to be like. According to Brewfather, my OG should have been 1.052, and I measure mine at 1.062. Oh well. Gonna ride it out and see what happens, but this one was a struggle for sure.

Boy did things go south on me today. I decided to try my hand at using my Inkbird thermometer instead of the thermo in my kettle. I was all over the place. At one point I was at 160 and then I was at 151. So, with that said, who knows what this is going to be like. According to Brewfather, my OG should have been 1.052, and I measure mine at 1.062. Oh well. Gonna ride it out and see what happens, but this one was a struggle for sure.
A learning experience. Don’t fret though, it’ll still be beer.

Thanks for the post. I have never used the BU guide, not sure I even know what that means. I have always gone with the IBU. So, what I did was lower the time on the hopstand and that brought the BU down to about .78. In your opinion am I getting closer to the mark?

I am looking to make a less bitter IPA style beer. Most everything I have done has been in the 50 to 60 IBU's in my IPA's. This will be my first beer with a hop stand as well, so I want to go into it easy. LOL.
It’s a helpful way to understand how bitter a beer will feel. 50 IBUs in a big IPA will be perceived less bitter than in a light lager.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.png
    IMG_0184.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
A learning experience. Don’t fret though, it’ll still be beer.
I hope so. LOL. It took less than 12 hours for the yeast to start working, so that is a good sign. Gonna let it ride for at least a week then dry hop for 3 or 4 days. Then bottle after that as my keg is full. I figure about two weeks and it will be in the bottle. Another week or so and I will start trying them.

Wow, by the 24 hour mark this yeast really took off. Fermenter is set at 67, but the temp is reading 72. First time I have noticed such a big temp output by the yeast. I am thinking of trying to dial it down a bit, but heck, if it is going this good why fool with it, right? Smells good, so I am hopeful. Keep your fingers crossed all. LOL

That’s kind of a funny chart. Im going to start referring to my ideal BU/GU as “in the yellow”.

Back