New book- and I was (slightly!) involved.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got the chance to be a technical editor on a book about my favorite subject- fermentation!
Initially, about 5 or 6 years ago, I was approached to write a book like this. I was excited, and even did an outline. Then I realized that I really don't want to write a book. Early this year, the publisher remembered me and asked me to be the Technical Editor, and I happily accepted.
It came in the mail today!
book_cover.jpg
Book_inside.jpg

It's weird seeing something I worked on in print, and I was so excited to see it today!

I just got that in the mail! Can't wait to branch out in my fermentations. Congrats on the gig!

From the book description on Amazon:

Brewer and distiller Gabe Toth has dedicated 15 years to learning and experimenting with the fundamentals of fermented vegetables, condiments, sausage, dairy, meat, bread, vinegar, kombucha, and other live-culture foods.

So did you get to actually taste any of these fermented items? I'm wondering what fermented sausage is like......

Ok, so kudos to anyone that has helped a creative effort that didn't lead to a loss of life!
That said, I have a feeling I would not relish this particular publication.
The closest I've been to fermented "meat" was Swedish sill, and that left a scar that's lasted for now 54 years...

Cheers! ;)

From the book description on Amazon:

Brewer and distiller Gabe Toth has dedicated 15 years to learning and experimenting with the fundamentals of fermented vegetables, condiments, sausage, dairy, meat, bread, vinegar, kombucha, and other live-culture foods.

So did you get to actually taste any of these fermented items? I'm wondering what fermented sausage is like......

Nope, Gabe and I have never met (although I watched his HomebrewCon seminar). I've been fermenting foods myself for years and years, and have spoken about it at HomebrewCon for quite a few years now. Fermented sausage is fabulous- you should try it! I've been making things like sauerkraut, kombucha, pickles, kimchee, cheese and yogurt, vinegar, hot sauce, etc for a very long time. When I was asked to participate in this as the technical editor, it was great.

Ok, so kudos to anyone that has helped a creative effort that didn't lead to a loss of life!
That said, I have a feeling I would not relish this particular publication.
The closest I've been to fermented "meat" was Swedish sill, and that left a scar that's lasted for now 54 years...

Cheers! ;)

Hard (cured) salami is fermented. I've made it several times, as well as other fermented meats. Nom nom!

Back