Double IPA Target Blast IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChemistWhiskey

Self-described Scientist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
80 (Tinseth)
Color
5.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 66
Tasting Notes
Fruity/candy note that I can't put a finger on. Solid malt presence balanced by a lasting bitterness and unique flavor/aroma from the Target
Fermentables

11 lbs Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) 77.2 %
2 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) 14.0 %
1 lbs 4 oz Table sugar (1.0 SRM) 8.8%

Hops

2.50 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 64.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 9.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash @ 150.0 F for 60 min

Table sugar was added with ~ 5 min left in the boil.
Dry hops were added at ~ 48 hours into fermentation.
Cold crashed for 48 hours before kegging, gelatin added to the keg before burst carbing.

I got 81% mash efficiency this time, the highest I've ever attained. This is my first brew on my new Cereal Killer mill set to credit card gap width. I mash in a rectangle cooler with bazooka screen.

I brewed this to use up the remainders of a pound of Target that I got on sale and have been using for bittering. It is still fairly young in the keg, but is very clean. It showcases the Target well - from what I have read this hop isn't often used for much besides bittering, but it definitely doesn't fall short in the flavor/aroma department IMO.

The beer has an interesting taste and aroma, which I can only describe as "candy-like" and also has the character of a fruit that I can't quite put my finger on. I will update after I get a few friends to taste and see what they think. My wife isn't much help, she just says it smells "spicy", but she says that about all of my hoppy beers :rolleyes:.

A good beer, doesn't seem like it will need much time to mellow. The best stronger beer I've brewed since investing in temperature control and building water from scratch.

Latest posts

Back