Absolute kick butt .... I got a free 5 gallon kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
So, My neighbor is over to do some landscaping. I like beer .. he likes beer. I offer him one... He likes it. He says' I had a friend give me a bunch of home brew stuff and I don't use it. He give me a 5 gallin glass carboy a 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter a 5 gallon brew-pot 4 cases of bottles. all either unused or looking unused.
So I'm going to keep 3 my mr-beer kegs for bottling and wine experiments.
I'm going to get a coopers 5-gallon ale and test this weekend... maybe... if I have time.

Are there any hints for a 5 gallon first timer>
do i use the 5 gallon glass for a secondary?
do i need a siphon or are there other methods?
thanks
timg

I recently bottled a coopers real ale kit. You'll definitely want to use DME or LME rather than dextrose for the extra 3lbs of sugar (I used a 3.3lb can of Coopers Light LME). It tastes quite good, and that's before carbing.

Other than that, I would recommend picking up a racking cane. Trying to syphon without one is a pain. Highly, highly recommend a bottling wand. You'll also need a hydrometer and an airlock (absolute MUST!!!).

That about covers the absolute minimums. You'll want to ferment in the 6.5gal bucket, secondary is optional, but you can secondary in the carboy.

The Coopers LME kits are pretty easy. The directions are pretty straight forward. Pretty easy for a first time kit.

I've dont 6 or so mr beer kits and a lme expreiment.. I think I'll stick with "no-boil procedures for now. I guess the procedure is about the same?

Latest posts

Back