Boiling Chimney

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subbed, intrigued.

I don't know about home brewers using chimney's but there has been some discussion on just boiling with the lid on. It would seem that with todays malts DMS isn't such an issue.
http://brulosophy.com/2016/10/31/the-boil-lid-on-vs-lid-off-exbeeriment-results/

Yeah, I've read the Brülosophy trial, but I think a closed lid would cause significant boilovers and surely reclaim some unwanted DMS. My brew style choices always have a large portion of Pilsner, which carries a lot of the DMS potential, but then again the Brülosophy trial used a recipe with 78% Pilsner. So, I don't know what to expect from the chimney.

I guess I'm really just looking for experience using such a chimney topper for a kettle to improve reaching and maintaining a boil. It could also be useful for venting the stream out a window in one's basement, kitchen, garage, etc.

I had a 4" sanitary ferrule welded to the top of my sanke keg electric bk to use as a chimney. Sorry no pics at the momet, but I use a 4"-2" reducer off of the ferrule, to a 2" 90d elbow, to a 2" "T" fitting-- with the "Chimney" extension off of the top of the "T" and at the bottom of the "T" I use a hose barb for a drain. Having the piping like this insures I do not get any residual condensation drip back in to the BK.

I had a 4" sanitary ferrule welded to the top of my sanke keg electric bk to use as a chimney. Sorry no pics at the momet, but I use a 4"-2" reducer off of the ferrule, to a 2" 90d elbow, to a 2" "T" fitting-- with the "Chimney" extension off of the top of the "T" and at the bottom of the "T" I use a hose barb for a drain. Having the piping like this insures I do not get any residual condensation drip back in to the BK.

We're definitely going to need picks!

I'll see what I can scare up... I have been in the midst of a crazy new build for almost exactly 3 years now; in the interim I've been having to be creative to brew (stove top, propane, jerry-rigged brew stand for electric, etc).

But I'll see if I can track down a pic.

Latest posts

Back