Can you tell when your Co2 will run out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my question is for the veteran keggers out there, Can you tell when your CO2 tank is going to run out by looking at the high-pressure guage? will it eventually show pressures lower than 2000, and still hold gas enough for you to refill it? or does the high pressure guage drop only when the gas tank is completely empty? thanks a lot ! have a good day

the high pressure gauge running out means you had better already have plans for a CO2 run. If you notice on Friday when you get home from work, you are screwed.
Better is to weigh your empty tank and check it periodically, or get a cheapie one to just sit it on.
I personally have a 5# backup for my 10# main. $70 well spent.

Yes, when the high pressure gage hits 200 psi all of the liquid CO2 is gone & you're running on vapors. With a #5 tank, you can still dispense a keg or two, but not carbonate one.

Bobby_M said:
I feel that a high pressure gauge is useless. You mentioned dropping below 2000psi but CO2 tanks usually stay between 600-1000psi given normal home temps.

Ditto. Unless you watch it like a hawk, the drop from normal pressure to empty happens much to quickly to be useful.

I too was impressed with the 2000psi. You sure that's a CO2 tank?

Bobby_M said:
I feel that a high pressure gauge is useless. You mentioned dropping below 2000psi but CO2 tanks usually stay between 600-1000psi given normal home temps.
True, but it will still remain constant until the liquid is gone as long as the temp stays relatively constant, so if you keep track of where it normally rests, you'll notice when it drops. And in any case, once it drops down to 400 or 200, it's DEFINITELY on its last legs. So far every time my tank has run out, I've noticed it in advance by paying attention to the high-pressure gauge and been able to get it filled before it ran completely out. So although they're not incredibly useful, they are definitely of some use if you actually pay attention to them.

pldoolittle said:
Ditto. Unless you watch it like a hawk, the drop from normal pressure to empty happens much to quickly to be useful.
I disagree, depending on the circumstances. I haven't exactly tested it thoroughly, but I do know I can get quite a few pints out of the tank between the time the pressure starts dropping and the time it runs dry, so as long as I glance at the gauge at least every dozen or half-dozen pints I don't really have to worry. My tank sits next to my kegerator, which is in my living room, so the gauge is easy to glance at. If your gauge is buried out of sight behind the fridge or something, then yeah, I agree that it's quite easy to miss the drop.

On another note, I think they should paint over the gauge face such that you can only see the needle when it's below 400PSI or so, so first-timers wouldn't freak out when their tank pressure drops from 1000 to 600 when they put it in the fridge :p

? so as I understand it, I will screw my reg on at room temp, it will be around 800-1000 PSI, then I throw it in the fridge, and I will drop to about 600 psi, then it will remain at about 600 psi exactly at the same spot until the last of the liquid co2 vaporizes, and if i catch this drop soon enough, I will have some time to refill before I run out completely... correct? thanks again everyone:ban:

Your thinking is correct, but the devil is in the details. You said; "I will have some time to refill before I run out completely"

How long you have to refill depends on usage. If you have 1 full carb'd keg and no leaks, you can tap quite a few beers. If you've got multiple kegs and one of those kegs is carbing, you may have very little time.

Those of us who say the gauge is useless probably have the experience of watching that gauge drop to 100psi just as you connect an green, uncarb'd keg and can't get a refill for a week or more. Or had it reading 600psi when the party started and reading 200psi 6 beers later....

Funkenjaeger said:
I disagree, depending on the circumstances. I haven't exactly tested it thoroughly, but I do know I can get quite a few pints out of the tank between the time the pressure starts dropping and the time it runs dry, so as long as I glance at the gauge at least every dozen or half-dozen pints I don't really have to worry.

For just dispensing beer, I agree. But when you're purging kegs, carbing beer, filling bottles, etc. that drop can hit you really fast. And it ALWAYS happens when you can't drop what your doing and go fetch another bottle.

Funkenjaeger said:
On another note, I think they should paint over the gauge face such that you can only see the needle when it's below 400PSI or so, so first-timers wouldn't freak out when their tank pressure drops from 1000 to 600 when they put it in the fridge :p

+1

My solution (because I am not as clever as the other responders) is to have two tanks. As soon as one ends, it's taken to be refilled while the kegorator runs on the other tank. I just have two at the same size.

I've found that on rare occasions I like taking a keg to a party or something, so I have a second cheapo regulator with a single hose (no manifold like in the kegorator) and a thumb-press type dispenser nozzle so I can toss a bucket with ice and keg in the back of the truck and enjoy keg beer at the drive-in or a party or whatever.

pldoolittle said:
That depends on the size of the tank. My 20# tank lasted through several kegs once the pressure started to drop. A 5# tank will empty much faster once the liquid is gone. In any case, once the pressure starts dropping noticeably, it's time to think about refilling.

Yuri_Rage said:
Psst! HB!!?? The OP said 2,000. I think he meant 1,000...or he has nitrogen.

nope, I have a 5# co2, I was talking out my ass because i have not even recieved my regulator yet ( its going to be at my doorstep in about an hour i think) I thought when your all hooked up that the high pressure side is like 2000 or higher, but i understand everything now... good thing too because I woulda been kinda worried when i hooked up and my high pressure only read 900 psi :confused: but now i know what to expect! thanks

pldoolittle said:
How long you have to refill depends on usage. If you have 1 full carb'd keg and no leaks, you can tap quite a few beers. If you've got multiple kegs and one of those kegs is carbing, you may have very little time.

Those of us who say the gauge is useless probably have the experience of watching that gauge drop to 100psi just as you connect an green, uncarb'd keg and can't get a refill for a week or more. Or had it reading 600psi when the party started and reading 200psi 6 beers later....

This is a good reason to have a check valve on each line right before each keg. If, for whatever reason, you run out of pressure with a new keg or a stupid error (they happen), you will still have the old pressure on any existing kegs. You can still get many pints out of a pressurized keg even if it's disconnected from the CO2.
I don't know how it is in other areas, but getting CO2 in San Diego outside of my standard working hours is a major PITA. I guess if you have a good relationship with a welding shop, you can get refills there whenever someone is in the shop, but definitely consider availability into your worst case scenario. I've personally had 2 crappy weekends because a stupid error occurred late on a Friday afternoon.

I have almost NO access to fill my 5#er. I diversified my portfolio and bought a Portable CO2 regulator from Lowes. It is their Kobalt brand and it uses paintball tanks. I bought mine for roughly $90 and it came with a filled 9 oz tank and an empty 9 oz tank. I had another 12 oz tank from my past, and I get them filled at Dicks Sporting Goods for a couple buck a piece. Nice insurance, and the other day I actually used it for shooting some nails. That showed SWMBO!

mZnthebend said:
I have almost NO access to fill my 5#er. I diversified my portfolio and bought a Portable CO2 regulator from Lowes. It is their Kobalt brand and it uses paintball tanks. I bought mine for roughly $90 and it came with a filled 9 oz tank and an empty 9 oz tank. I had another 12 oz tank from my past, and I get them filled at Dicks Sporting Goods for a couple buck a piece. Nice insurance, and the other day I actually used it for shooting some nails. That showed SWMBO!
YOu mean this one?

Portable_CO2.jpg

Do they retro fit with paintball canisters?

Does Dicks fill those things up?

Hmmmmmm

On the subject of check valves, what type should be used, where do you get em' and how much do they cost?

BierMuncher said:
YOu mean this one?

View attachment 5088

Do they retro fit with paintball canisters?

Does Dicks fill those things up?

Hmmmmmm

Yes, Sir.

It uses a standard paintball tank, no retrofitting necessary. You can exchange the empty tanks at Lowes for full ones or like I said, get them filled at Dicks or any other place that does paintball tanks. They just hook it up to a larger CO2 tank to fill. I'm sure if you checked out some paintball suppliers they have "refill stations" that hook up directly to a standard CO2 tank.

Last time I was at Dick's it took a while to get them filled because they were understaffed and were processing a gun purchase, so they filled all three of my tanks for free. I think standard pricing is around $2 a crack. You wouldn't want to push all of your beer with it, but it is great insurance, good for travel, and also useful around the house :D

mZnthebend said:
Yes, Sir.

It uses a standard paintball tank, no retrofitting necessary. You can exchange the empty tanks at Lowes for full ones or like I said, get them filled at Dicks or any other place that does paintball tanks. They just hook it up to a larger CO2 tank to fill. I'm sure if you checked out some paintball suppliers they have "refill stations" that hook up directly to a standard CO2 tank.

Last time I was at Dick's it took a while to get them filled because they were understaffed and were processing a gun purchase, so they filled all three of my tanks for free. I think standard pricing is around $2 a crack. You wouldn't want to push all of your beer with it, but it is great insurance, good for travel, and also useful around the house :D
Excellent info. THanks.

That is going to be part of my port-a-keg system.

BierMuncher said:
Excellent info. THanks.

No Problem,

I saw in some of your pics you brew in your basement, any threads I can read on proper ways to handle this type of set-up?

BierMuncher said:
Excellent info. THanks.

Ooooh, Oooooh, new toy, new toy!!!!

Me Likey! Let me know how it works for ya. I'm thinking the same. That puppy, cut the end off the hose, install a stainless T and hook up two gas ball lock connectors. Schweet!

EdWort said:
..I'm thinking the same. That puppy, cut the end off the hose, install a stainless T and hook up two gas ball lock connectors. Schweet!
Yep.

That setup along with three or four spare taps/shanks and you have one of these babies:
garbage_Kegger.jpg

BierMuncher said:
Yep.

That setup along with three or four spare taps/shanks and you have one of these babies:
View attachment 5115

LOL I can see it now: You'll have that puppy at a picnic or some other gathering and someone will dump their dirty plate full of pork-n-beans or maybe a dirty diaper or two without realizing it's not really a garbage can. All over your nice cornies.:D
Sweet idea, though.:rockin:

Bernie Brewer said:
LOL I can see it now: You'll have that puppy at a picnic or some other gathering and someone will dump their dirty plate full of pork-n-beans or maybe a dirty diaper or two without realizing it's not really a garbage can. All over your nice cornies.:D
Sweet idea, though.:rockin:

Not after he paints BEER WAGON all over it.

I have one of the Kobalt co2 systems, I wanted to use it for a portable/utility station but I can't stop it form leaking like a sieve. BTW I got my tank filled at a local paintball store for $2.00 Its really slick, but not I it leaks :(

I have one of the $20, no-regulator CO2 cartridge "guns" (can't think of the right term) that I use for bringing kegs to parties, but that would also serve as a backup for dispensing from the kegerator should the need arise.

I'm also glad - yes, glad - that I swapped my shiny Al CO2 tank for an ugly steel one; it's hidden anyway, and if I DO run out on a Friday night, I can swap it for another, equally-ugly tank on Saturday morning (without feeling like I *have* to get it filled, not swapped).

I decided to go with William's Brewing Paintball Regulator Adapter Kit. I have an old regulator that I will outfit with the adapter and these new gauges which allows them to be read easier when it is changed. Cost is $34.90 and for me is a good deal cause my old regulator does not have any gauges on it at the moment.

R76.JPG

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_PAINTBALL_REGUL_P1957.cfm

I'll post pics of my retrofit and report back on how it works. I will be interesting to see how many cornies a 20 ounce paintball cylinder can push at a party.

I have one of the Kobalt co2 systems, I wanted to use it for a portable/utility station but I can't stop it form leaking like a sieve. BTW I got my tank filled at a local paintball store for $2.00 Its really slick, but not I it leaks :(

I have one of those on my list of must-haves.

Where is it leaking?

I have one of those on my list of must-haves.

Where is it leaking?

You can get the Adapter kit from Williams for $34.90 plus a new regulator from Micromatic for $37.95 and have a complete system that does not leak for less than the cost of the Lowe's unit (though it does come with a bottle I think).

I would recommend that route as you get both a high and low pressure gauge and I bet it is easier to dial down to dispensing pressures.

the tank has an o-ring above the threads, when screwed into the regulator body it tends to chew up the o-ring and thus leaks. The system differs from a normal co2 tank in that it has a "pin" in the outlet of the tank that gets depressed as you tighten. so it blows extremeley cold, partially liquid co2 out as you tighten. kinda scary actually. Its funny because they give you about 10 extra o-rings, so maybe it happens alot

also the regulator dial is very touchy and hard to set at low psi, its meant for 90 psi nail guns and the like

Hey guys nice regulator setups but why so expensive? These are almost twice the price of a regular setup. At those numbers it might be best to buy a 5# and regulator. If you goal is for easy transport then that's the way to go but not so if backup is your main concern. However my son has a paintball tank laying around looking for a better use;) Charlie

Back