Hi from Blighty!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlightyBrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I'd drop a quick thread to introduce myself. I'm Paul from the New Forest in Blighty. Just started brewing for pleasure (what other reason is there!), and have just discovered this forum. Looking forward to more of the advice and laughs you guys seem to generate, and of course I can't wait to savour my first brew, which should be ready in a few weeks.

Paul.

"No matter what life throws our way, there's always bacon butties 'n' ale!" :p

Welcome to the obsession Paul, It's interesting how you have described where you are from . Could you elaborate on "The New Forest" of Blighty.

Whatcha brewin??

The New Forest, or "Nova Foresta", approximately 7 miles west of Southampton (the port from which the Titanic sailed on her fateful voyage) was created in 1079 by William I (William the Conqueror) as a hunting ground mainly for Deer. The New Forest is a curious name as the land is mainly wetland and scrubland, and has ponies, deer, cattle, pigs, and homo spapiens! roaming and grazing the land. Check out www.hants.gov.uk/newforest for more info. Oh, and there are some great little pubs that serve fantastic ale! The most noteable is The Fluer de Lys, which dates back over 900 years as an establishment that serves ale...it has a list off all the landlords dating back to 1486!!

Wow. It looks much like parts of Texas. Though soil fertility is not an issue in Texas. I am intrigued by the 900 year old Pub. Such history! Thanks.

Cheers!

Hey Paul, welcome to the forums. Seems like there's getting to be a nice little covey of you brits here. I guess we're gonna have to get a Texas vs UK brewoff going. :cool:
And by the way, before William came along...what happened to The Old Forest :confused: I bet it was those filthy Romans, wasn't it? :mad:

Sounds good to me. Losers buy the winners beers at "The Fluer de Lys" .
Don't worry Paul we'll give ya your parts back:D

Sudster said:
Sounds good to me. Losers buy the winners beers at "The Fluer de Lys" .
Don't worry Paul we'll give ya your parts back:D

The winner package should also include first class plane tickets,hotel rooms, and (of course) cab fare to and from said pub!

O.K , I now know what a piss-up is. What in the Hell are bacon butties? Is that like beer and skittles? Are bacon butties meaured by the armful or Metrically? Without you Brits, the world just wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Welcome to the Forums ! Glad to have you.

Hi Paul,
I see you are from one of the nicest parts of our fair land.
One tip whilst you're here; try and keep off the subject of Imperial measures. I mean who's never heard of an armful or a slack hand full?

Well I did a google on bacon butties and a couple images came up:

p_bacon_butties.jpg

and

bacon.jpg

I do hope we're talking about the former? :D

brewgenie said:
Hi Paul,
I see you are from one of the nicest parts of our fair land.
One tip whilst you're here; try and keep off the subject of Imperial measures. I mean who's never heard of an armful or a slack hand full?

I've heard about it but I only talk about it with my Doctor. :D

Knew Brewgenie would jump in on the Imperial Measures. I saw a slack handful this morning in the shower. That's not much. ( Choked up, can't type for a minute) Does an armfull convert into U.S. measure? :(

Sudster said:
Wow. It looks much like parts of Texas. ...

Wow, it really does! Wonderful photos! The UK is my first planned stop of countries of my ancestry... someday. After that, the other two, Ireland and Germany. Mmmm - the trifecta of brewing. Is it any wonder I love beer?

Welcome to the Forum!

sudsmonkey said:
Knew Brewgenie would jump in on the Imperial Measures. I saw a slack handful this morning in the shower. That's not much. ( Choked up, can't type for a minute) Does an armfull convert into U.S. measure? :(

I think an armful would roughly equal three pinches or a gobful - give or take a smidgen. Unless of course there is a 'R' in the month.....

Back