2-roller grain mill for $65

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that they don't show a picture of the rollers and in the description it sound like they are talking about a three roller.

"With two rollers, all your grain will be crushed twice in one cycle. The crush is through the fixed gap between the top two rollers. The initial pass slightly flattens the grain, getting it ready for the next crush that breaks apart the grains"

Looks to good to be true.
Not too much more and you can get a used Monster Mill that’ll last you much longer!
My 3 roller was a shop demo I picked up for less than $50. I motorized and it’s been going strong for 5+ years.

Looks to good to be true.
Not too much more and you can get a used Monster Mill that’ll last you much longer!
My 3 roller was a shop demo I picked up for less than $50. I motorized and it’s been going strong for 5+ years.

Is there somewhere online that sells them used you a referring to or are you just noting that if you come across a used one, the price would likely be similar?

no matter what you buy make sure it has hardened steel rollers or you may be buying another after milling only a few hundred pounds. I think Austin homebrew supply has the cereal killer for $86/free shipping right now, check out homebrewfinds.com and search for cereal killer.

EDIT: Yep, just checked it again, its $99 with 13% automatic discount at checkout and free shipping over $49 which brings the total to $86.99 shipped. This is the best value around if you're looking for a basic but dependable, long lasting mill. Have put ~300 pounds through mine in the last 15 months with zero signs of wear. Couldn't be happier with this mill, the best upgrade I've made thus far.

Last edited:
I can't imagine even unhardened steel being a challenge for grain crushing. Fact is, when it comes to Chinese product, you have no idea what you are getting, whether from eBay, AliExpress, or Austin Homebrew. OPs eBay listing says cold rolled steel for the rollers in one place and stainless steel in another. Chances are all these cheap crushers are made in the same factory and price has no bearing on quality or durability. Welcome to the 21st century.

It looks like a 2-roller in all the pictures. The biggest issue I see are the brass bushings instead of more durable bearings. I'm a crazy penny pincher, but I'd still opt for the Cereal Killer instead.

I can't imagine even unhardened steel being a challenge for grain crushing. Fact is, when it comes to Chinese product, you have no idea what you are getting, whether from eBay, AliExpress, or Austin Homebrew. OPs eBay listing says cold rolled steel for the rollers in one place and stainless steel in another. Chances are all these cheap crushers are made in the same factory and price has no bearing on quality or durability. Welcome to the 21st century.
I'm a big defender of Chinese industrial capability to manufacture a superior product, but in 2019 the fact is that unless you're buying 100K+ units, factories operating outside the tech industry all sell their products on such razor thin margins that the buck or so saved by skipping the hardening step on your rollers is enough to make the difference between profitability and selling at a loss. Anything sold directly (ala Ebay) likely fall short of contract manufacturing specification. The difference here is a seller who stands behind their product. Raw materials make up a huge part of the total manufacturing cost in China, and you don't want bargain rollers in your mill. Source: 20 years experience in product development and sourcing, including cutlery and machinery.

Last edited:
It looks like a 2-roller in all the pictures. The biggest issue I see are the brass bushings instead of more durable bearings. I'm a crazy penny pincher, but I'd still opt for the Cereal Killer instead.

For a few dollars more than that eBay special, one would be better off with the Cereal Killer. The eBay mill has brass or bronze bushings (as do the lower-end Monster Mills!), but the Cereal Killer uses ball bearings. That in itself is more than worth the price difference.

If you want to see what headaches people have had with crappy mills and bad customer service, just check out the epic Barley Crusher thread.

Buy quality the first time, you won't have to buy it again.

For a few dollars more than that eBay special, one would be better off with the Cereal Killer. The eBay mill has brass or bronze bushings (as do the lower-end Monster Mills!), but the Cereal Killer uses ball bearings. That in itself is more than worth the price difference.

If you want to see what headaches people have had with crappy mills and bad customer service, just check out the epic Barley Crusher thread.

Buy quality the first time, you won't have to buy it again.

I'm not quite sure about what you are saying here is correct. In fact, the more expensive MM2, MM3, and Barley Crusher all have the sintered bronze bearings which this eBay mill claims to use ("claims" because you can't always be sure about what you are going to get-- I wouldn't be surprised if it arrived with BB). My guess is that the superior bearing method would be on the more expensive models and that is sintered bronze bearings, not ball bearings. Only the cheapest MM1 claims to use ball bearings.

I'm not quite sure about what you are saying here is correct. In fact, the more expensive MM2, MM3, and Barley Crusher all have the sintered bronze bearings which this eBay mill claims to use ("claims" because you can't always be sure about what you are going to get-- I wouldn't be surprised if it arrived with BB). My guess is that the superior bearing method would be on the more expensive models and that is sintered bronze bearings, not ball bearings. Only the cheapest MM1 claims to use ball bearings.
Bronze bushings are typically specified where operating speeds are high enough and duty cycles long enough to heat up the porous, sintered material sufficiently to bring the impregnating oil to the bearing surface. If these conditions are met there will be essentially zero wear as the shaft rides on a cushion of oil. In shorter duty cycles and dusty conditions like a grain mill, the bushing will likely have a shorter life compared to a ball bearing. Cost is the driver here, and more important than bushings or bearings is their quality, i.e. a high grade bushing may outlive an inferior grade of ball bearing, though that is unlikely in this particular short duty/dusty application. Bearing races will attract dust but they can be blasted clean with solvent and re-lubricated whereas bushings will need replacement.

If the bearings in my mill ever wear out I will replace them with Boca ceramic ball bearings and be done with it.

Not buying the "bronze is better than ball bearing" argument. Citation needed.

Bronze is cheaper--that's the sole reason they are so ubiquitous in mill design. As JayJay suggested, it's possible that high-quality bronze may surpass a low-quality ball bearing, but on an even comparison of the two, the ball bearing will be superior. In addition, bronze sleeve bearings are inferior to ball or roller bearings where side-loading is used; i.e., in the case of belt-driven systems, where there is tension perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Over time the inside aperture of the sleeve will elongate and there will be lateral play. By contrast, the ball/roller assembly rotates with the shaft, so the wear on them is distributed evenly over time. Ball/rollers can be re-greased more easily.

IIRC, all but the MM3Pro PD model uses bronze sleeve bearings. The MM3Pro PD uses roller bearings. Thus, you don't even get away from sleeves until you pop almost $500. I have no idea what a MM-1 is; afaik, there are just the MM2 and MM3 series.

And I won't even consider the Barley Crusher worth considering, for reasons well beyond its use of sleeve bearings. We've hammered on BC ad nauseam in other threads and for good reason.

Latest posts

Back