5 Gallon Buckets - Cheap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaakov

Doing my best
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Harbor freight has them HDPE2 for $3.25 lids $1.99. HDPE2 is the same as the $20+ white buckets you buy and the lids they sell are better....see pics..
78D47264-80BD-46F2-9AFE-6D3DD5B09C2E.jpeg
1F84592C-92A9-4C87-B78D-AE81F6542D89.jpeg
E7A53629-5AB1-483E-8C1B-FBAE1783CABD.jpeg
14CE35AE-A312-4611-B36A-4013D82105D4.jpeg

True, they are 5 gallon, but this should fit a lot of people’s needs.

most hardware stores have them, often for a little cheaper than that.

i catch em on sale for 1.99 and 99 cent lids quite often.

HDPE is used for food grade plastic items but that is not a guarantee that the item is food grade. The dye used may not be food grade.

Also
High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
HDPE is the most common household plastic around, used to make beverage bottles, butter containers, cereal box liners and thicker food storage buckets. Recycled HDPE is reviewed by the FDA on a case-by-case basis, as it can sometimes become unsafe in the recycling process.
#1 and #2 plastics are the most commonly recycled plastics. Not saying your find is not food grade but it might be a good idea to at least avoid a dyed bucket. Red dye has a bit of a poor track record in food!

HDPE is used for food grade plastic items but that is not a guarantee that the item is food grade. The dye used may not be food grade.

Also #1 and #2 plastics are the most commonly recycled plastics. Not saying your find is not food grade but it might be a good idea to at least avoid a dyed bucket. Red dye has a bit of a poor track record in food!

Great points!! The wally world buckets i reference only say food grade on the white. The red n blue do not.
I never would have thought about the dyes!!

Great points!! The wally world buckets i reference only say food grade on the white. The red n blue do not.
I never would have thought about the dyes!!
I am finding that out with buckets on all different sites. White appears to be the only one that I can find listed as food grade, also.

Back