Extract Pale Ale I cooked up with weekend with induction cooktop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So in my quest to make easy and fast beers I am going back to extract for some time and making several 2.5 gallon batches.

This weekend I used my son's portable induction cooktop. Great thing is I can set the temp and drop a probe in the water and timer all on my phone.
I did a gallon of water at 150deg for 30 minutes to steep 4 oz of crystal 40.
Removed from cooktop and added 1.5 lbs of Briess Pale Ale LME.
Cranked up the One Top (brand name) to boil and I added the remainder of the LME at 15 minutes to go.
Hop schedule of Magnum at 30 min with Amarillo and Citra at 5.
Cooled with 1.5 gallons of sterile ice water and pitched Voss Kveik rehydrated yeast when it got to 100 degrees. That yeast took off like a rocket in under 2 hours.
Start to finish 1 pot, 1 measuring cup for yeast re hydration and 90 minutes including cleanup.

1.052 OG
31 IBU according to calculator

I expect this to be 1.010 in 7 days or less and will determine if I drop hop or bottle at that time.

Here’s a link that just came in my e-Mail. Need to be member to get full article. It might lead to some interesting exchanges here though.

https://www.homebrewersassociation....m=email&utm_campaign=AHA&_zs=KemwP1&_zl=tDuR6
The technique in that Homebrew Con 2016 presentation was later renamed to "cold extraction (link)", perhaps to avoid confusion with another "cold steep" technique where crystal malts are steeped overnight. The "cold extraction" technique is about soaking base malts in cold water for couple of different purposes (see the Homebrew Con 2016 presentation or the PNWHC 2017 presentation). IMO, there are things in the Homebrew Con audio presentation that are not covered in forum discussions.

For those interested in the concept, I posted a list of links back in Oct 2017 that may be of interest. I double checked the links and they are still valid.

The technique in that Homebrew Con 2016 presentation was later renamed to "cold extraction (link)", perhaps to avoid confusion with another "cold steep" technique where crystal malts are steeped overnight. The "cold extraction" technique is about soaking base malts in cold water for couple of different purposes (see the Homebrew Con 2016 presentation or the PNWHC 2017 presentation). IMO, there are things in the Homebrew Con audio presentation that are not covered in forum discussions.

For those interested in the concept, I posted a list of links back in Oct 2017 that may be of interest. I double checked the links and they are still valid.
Great info BrewinWKopperKat. Haven’t seen some of the articles. Funny, the link I posted above was from 2016 yet I just received it today 😆 The PP slides are OK in PDF, just a little busy. I need to start listening to their audio per your mention above 👍

Cheers 🍻

Have you (and readers) seen 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale ?

People also occasionally mention steeping in a "side pot" while the main kettle is heating to a boil. It's a little more complicated, but could save some additional time.

I do a beer based on that recipe once or twice a year. I finished the last bottle of it last night. It was one of the best beers I've made this year. I used cascade and ahtanum hops with Lutra yeast. It reminded me of an old school Stone beer.

Some additional ideas for brewing indoors this winter with DME/LME.

No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019! can save another 15 minutes on the brew day. Some of 'concentrated boil' recipes use chilled top-up water to speed up cooling the wort.

Here at HomebrewTalk (and in other forums) people are talking about brewing with fresh "style specific" LME.

The recipes in "I brewed a favorite recipe today" include a number of "advanced" techniques that may be of interest.
  • darker beer styles using (fresh) style specific LME (no need to steep)
  • steeping in a side pot while heating the boil kettle
  • using CaCl & CaS04 as flavor adjustments
  • 'concentrated' 30 minute boils
  • making a slurry with DME in a side pot to avoid that sticky mess that can occur
  • adding DME at the 'flame-on' (to avoid that sticky mess) and getting good color
Partial mash: for smaller amounts of grains that need to be mashed, temperature control is "hard" when mashing 1 lb of base malts in 5 gal of water. So consider this recipe (emphasis added) from "15 minute pale ale":

[...] In this case I just needed a batch fast. The recipe is
3# Pale DME
3# Amber DME
1# Munich mashed in a half gallon drink cooler for twenty minutes
1oz@ of Horizon and Azacca at 15
1oz@ of Horizon and Azacca at 1
[...] Even with AG, I rarely mash or boil for an hour, usually 45 minutes. I also sometimes use a partial mash method to quicken my brew day. My version has the grains mashing while the extract and hops are boiling, and then add the mashed wort at the end.

eta: see also Faster Partial Mash (link)

Last edited:
Back