How much yeast to use for 2.5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I plan to start doing 2.5 gallon batches. I'm curious how much yeast I should use. If I use dry yeast, should I use a full packet or half? For Liquid, full packet?

Thanks! This brings me to my next question. So if its .08 or .09 packet of liquid yeast, I would be safe with 1 full packet? As for dry yeast, if it ask for half a packet, is it safe to store half the dry yeast in the fridge?

For most common ales with original gravities of about 1.05 one half of a 11.5 gram sachet should work for you, but honestly unless you have a way to seal the sachet back up with a minimum of air I would just pitch the whole thing.
Something along the lines of this might work out for you.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5YBKC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! This brings me to my next question. So if its .08 or .09 packet of liquid yeast, I would be safe with 1 full packet? As for dry yeast, if it ask for half a packet, is it safe to store half the dry yeast in the fridge?

No that would be way overpitching. Now it it were 0.8 or 0.9 that might be a different story... ;)

I think pitching a whole liquid yeast pack for a 2.5 gallon of 1.050 would be fine. Mr. Malty is saying you would need around 88billion yeast cells and one liquid yeast pack is around 100billion when brand new, by the time most of us get them they're a week old and have lost little bit of viability.

A lot of the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles around that gravity call for two liquid yeast packs (or an appropriate starter) for a 5 gallon batch. The dry yeast is a different story, I haven't worked with (or read up on) that as much.

I work indirectly with an industrial deskstop version (surgical instruments are sterilized and double wrapped and sealed with something similiar,) but would think there would be a consumer version that works well, but perhaps not.

According to Mr. Malty. Any Ale with an OG of 1.053 or more, requires 1 vial or pack for a 2.5 Gallon batch.

Pitch half if you want for an og of 1.05.Ive resealed plenty of time and with notty and o5 and all the safales i seal up tight and use a vaccume sealed bag to store, i use to just roll it up and roll it up into a nother bag tightly and rubberband it, the only issues ive had was with s-33 and t-58 which i resealed but im not exactly shure if this was the cause of an abnormal ferment, i still bottled and they turned out fine.You should be really good with resealing and vaccume sealing in a bag and trying to use that on your next batch as well, thats what i like to do the sooner the better.

my $.02 on using liquid in small batches. i.e. not even needing the whole pack/vial. couldn't you just make a starter, split it into two jars. use one for the brew and save the other? i do that after i've cultured yeast, or if i want to save some of a new yeast i'm using. that way i buy a pack, brew and have some on hand so i don't have to buy yeast unless i'm using a new strain. between that and washing yeast, you can build a collection and not have to worry whether or not buying a whole pack or vial is worth it, or what to do with the leftovers.

I got the foodsaver handheld unit ,but the bags are really meant for refrigerater, i use them for my hops also but sometimes they fail in the freezer once in a while and lose their seal. Good for cheese and yeast and whatever else you want in the fridge,and its the cheapest sealer i think.

my $.02 on using liquid in small batches. i.e. not even needing the whole pack/vial. couldn't you just make a starter, split it into two jars. use one for the brew and save the other? i do that after i've cultured yeast, or if i want to save some of a new yeast i'm using. that way i buy a pack, brew and have some on hand so i don't have to buy yeast unless i'm using a new strain. between that and washing yeast, you can build a collection and not have to worry whether or not buying a whole pack or vial is worth it, or what to do with the leftovers.

I'm thinking this might be the best method. I've only done one starter so far and never ended up using it. Something else came out and it sat in the fridge too long. I just need to research more to figure out how big of a starter to make so I can split into two.

^I thought the same, but depending on level of involvement both timewise and gearwise, might not be practical esp. in light of the gentleman doing 2.5 gallon batches....

If i buy liquid, i make a mild batch and wash enough for about 6 small batches at least,and not to mention i could just grab some slurry from another generation from time to time.Although i like to use my washed yeast as soon as i can. No way am i spending 9$ for just one batch from it.

If i buy liquid, i make a mild batch and wash enough for about 6 small batches at least,and not to mention i could just grab some slurry from another generation from time to time.Although i like to use my washed yeast as soon as i can. No way am i spending 9$ for just one batch from it.

So I could just pitch the whole liquid pack to the 2.5 gallon batch and just wash the yeast after it's done? I'll probably end up with 4 or so jars.

I'm thinking this might be the best method. I've only done one starter so far and never ended up using it. Something else came out and it sat in the fridge too long. I just need to research more to figure out how big of a starter to make so I can split into two.

consult MrMalty, but put in double your batch size (5 gal), then after you cool and decant your starter, save half the slurry in a jar, pitch the rest. easy cheese, you'll be cleaning and sanitizing on brew day anyway, include a small mason jar in the mix. :mug:

^I thought the same, but depending on level of involvement both timewise and gearwise, might not be practical esp. in light of the gentleman doing 2.5 gallon batches....

i'd say it's always worth the investment to get into starters. you can start with the intermittent shake method, and move up to a stir plate if/when you deem it important.

consult MrMalty, but put in double your batch size (5 gal), then after you cool and decant your starter, save half the slurry in a jar, pitch the rest. easy cheese, you'll be cleaning and sanitizing on brew day anyway, include a small mason jar in the mix. :mug:

i'd say it's always worth the investment to get into starters. you can start with the intermittent shake method, and move up to a stir plate if/when you deem it important.

Good info, Thanks NordeastBrewer77! :mug:

Back