Ingredient Price Increases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
Just reaching out on everyones thoughts on price increases for brewing. I was looking back at what I paid for supplies back in 2020. On average prices have gone up 36% at my local homebrew store. That puts many of my homebrew at $1.00 +/- a couple of cents. Also in a 50 mile radius of me two homebrew stores have closed the doors which is sad. I have also noticed a large amount of brewing equipment for sale on marketplace. I have read that a large amount of breweries and brew pubs have closed.
Not looking good for us homebrewers and those who enjoy micro brews.

Yep, I've noticed the same thing. When I started, I could get ingredients for 5g for about $15 with yeast. 5 years ago I could brew 5g for around $22 if I had to buy all ingredients including yeast. Now it's closer to $35. Adding to all that, my consumption has really decreased, and a few years ago I moved out to the country so I don't have those friends coming over and drinking it, too. I've been considering closing my brewshed doors after all these years.

Yeah like everything else, grain, yeast, hops etc have gone up in price. My LHBS closed a few years ago, not really due to a drop in customers, but due to an owner who wanted to save money by closing every store in his chain but the original one, in order to put the money into the brewery he opened that was struggling. Now the Greater Boston area has no shops except one almost in New Hampshire. So ordering online alone increased my costs due to paying for shipping for everything now. But last year I found out I have a health issue so had to cut back on drinking, so I downsized to 2.5 gallon batches, of which 80% goes to friends and comps and I started ordering ingredients for 4 batches at a time so I am not paying as much on shipping.

As for commercial breweries, the industry is definitely seeing a decline. You see it at liquor stores that used to have large craft beer sections, but they have been reduced in size to make room for craft cocktails in a can and seltzers. Seems that's the drink of choice over beer for younger people these days. Saying that, my local town's brewery is thriving and the place is always packed. They opened a second location last year and have beer gardens in two towns. So they are doing something right. I think a lot of breweries that have closed were those not really making great stuff and could not adapt to the market, or are ones who got bought out by corporations who then closed them to save money. Looking at you Sapporo for buying and closing Anchor Steam! :mad:

I don't have my stuff in front of me but for basic brews made from bulk and discounted ingredients, I haven't noticed a terrible increase in costs. And with $6-8 pints becoming more commonplace, it only takes 2-4 beers out to equal a 10 gallon batch at home.

I have noticed the increase in used equipment, and have capitalized on it for stuff like carboys and kegs. But now I have two spare chillers and three extra Sankey BKs even after giving away two...

Hearts Homebrew in Orlando still charges $1.65 per pound for a lot of malts, crushed, measured, and bagged. You just have to order a lot to kill the shipping cost.

Moderator note:

Discussion has slipped into political commentary, which is not allowed outside of the "Debate" forum. Many posts have been deleted.

Please do not get into discussions of the causes of inflation (outside of "Debate"), or trying to assign blame. Any such posts will be deleted. If inappropriate posts continue to be made, this thread will be locked.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

I've been buying kits for years since it's easy and convenient. I guess it's time to go back to doing recipes from scratch, and buying the 5-10 lb bags of grain for the free shipping, since just the shipping for a full bag is $60-80 where I live. That should help the $$$. I DO miss having an LHBS so I could walk them and get ideas (and bulk prices)...

I do 10 gallon batches. The equivalent 6-pack cost these days (excluding propane and electricity) ranges from roughly $4 to $5.30 for most recipes, with my double imperial chocolate stout ringing in at $8.81 a 6-pack ($155.65 batch cost :oops:).

My base malt cost is just over $1/pound for the GP, Weyermann Pilsner, and Briess Brewer's Malt I use (via a friend with a BSG hook-up), otherwise it's all retail prices for the rest of my ingredients. And yeast makes a big difference: if I use farmed 1318 the cost per batch is far lower than using 4 packs of BRY-97, for instance. I need to start growing that one, I think.

I just discovered updating inventory pricing in Beersmith3 does not automatically update recipes. That's a shame, I'll have to go through all the last iterations of my recipes to manually update the costs therein...

Cheers!

Just reaching out on everyones thoughts on price increases for brewing
I been ordering from a regional online store since 2017 that doesn't offer "free shipping" .

Without going into details, shipping costs probably account for most (70%?) of the increase in the cost of the order.

Prices on some items (e.g. Briess DME, US-05) are essentially the same price now as they were in 2018. Malt prices (mostly Briess) may be up around 20%. Popular hops (American "C" hops, Golding, ...) are up some, but definitely less than 50%.

"free shipping isn't free".

I'm still saving a bunch brewing my own, and it is better beer too, at least more to my liking than anything I can buy around here.

Even the fanciest stuff I brew, w 100% floor malted Weyerman, materials cost around 80 cents( .8 US dollars) a pint (16 fl Ozs). Most recipes cost considerably less. I get 6-8 brews per pitch the way I run my yeast, and grow about 30% of the hops I use, so that is a factor.

My first house sold in the '50s for $7k. We bought it for 65k in the '90s and sold for 90k (also in the '90s). Uhhhh?????

It's now worth over 200k. Random facts of "factiness"

Hearts Homebrew in Orlando still charges $1.65 per pound for a lot of malts, crushed, measured, and bagged. You just have to order a lot to kill the shipping cost.
I have bought through them before. The owner is pretty old school. I wonder if he will retire anytime soon. I grabbed a 55lb sack of 2-row from him last Thursday driving through town. RiteBrew seems to have some pretty good prices for those in the Midwest.

It is tough to support the local shops sometimes when supporting them makes the hobby expensive enough that it would be cheaper to buy 12 packs at the grocery store and call them your own. I try to support local as much as I can, but my nearest shop is nearly an hour from me.

a decade ago, bulk 50# sacks used to be 30$+- used to have a homebrew shop 100 miles away and he would be selling them for 50$. If i was that way for other reasons i would buy the bulk malt from him. Actually a local brewery spawned out of his homebrew shop from another lad. Anyway, now bulk is 50-80 a sack + shipping at major retailers/maltsters.

I am lucky enough a family ran maltster started malting grains of local farmers and am happy at 50 a sack. still an hour away and no shipping but I will take it.

a decade ago, bulk 50# sacks used to be 30$+- used to have a homebrew shop 100 miles away and he would be selling them for 50$. If i was that way for other reasons i would buy the bulk malt from him. Actually a local brewery spawned out of his homebrew shop from another lad. Anyway, now bulk is 50-80 a sack + shipping at major retailers/maltsters.

I am lucky enough a family ran maltster started malting grains of local farmers and am happy at 50 a sack. still an hour away and no shipping but I will take it.
I just paid $55 for a 55lb sack of 2row on my way home from a work trip. Thought that was pretty cheap all things considered. My closer shop an hour away is selling it for $70. Looks like you're doing pretty well then.

Yeah like everything else, grain, yeast, hops etc have gone up in price. My LHBS closed a few years ago, not really due to a drop in customers, but due to an owner who wanted to save money by closing every store in his chain but the original one, in order to put the money into the brewery he opened that was struggling. Now the Greater Boston area has no shops except one almost in New Hampshire. So ordering online alone increased my costs due to paying for shipping for everything now. But last year I found out I have a health issue so had to cut back on drinking, so I downsized to 2.5 gallon batches, of which 80% goes to friends and comps and I started ordering ingredients for 4 batches at a time so I am not paying as much on shipping.

As for commercial breweries, the industry is definitely seeing a decline. You see it at liquor stores that used to have large craft beer sections, but they have been reduced in size to make room for craft cocktails in a can and seltzers. Seems that's the drink of choice over beer for younger people these days. Saying that, my local town's brewery is thriving and the place is always packed. They opened a second location last year and have beer gardens in two towns. So they are doing something right. I think a lot of breweries that have closed were those not really making great stuff and could not adapt to the market, or are ones who got bought out by corporations who then closed them to save money. Looking at you Sapporo for buying and closing Anchor Steam! :mad:
FYI, there's an LHBS in Danvers Mass. called beer & Wine hobby. Not too close to Braintree but a lot closer than NH.

My experiences with dry yeast prices (2020 vs 2024)

1715776005611.png

• 2020 is actual purchase price (no volume discounts, shipping is extra)
  • 2024 is the current purchase price (no volume discounts, shipping is extra)
  • In the past, some online stores offered volume discounts and U.S. Mail for shipping. In combination, the cost of shipping was often less than the volume discount. In 2024, at least one of the stores I shop still has a low cost shipping option for low weight orders.
  • Current prices are (obviously) subject to change without prior notice.

Now compare Ritebrew.com yeast prices to Morebeer or NorthernBrewer! If you're okay with US postal service delivery, Ritebrew will ship a couple of packs of dry yeast for the cost of a postage stamp!

update: well shoot, now I don't see the option to snail-mail dry yeast any more...

Last edited:
FYI, there's an LHBS in Danvers Mass. called beer & Wine hobby. Not too close to Braintree but a lot closer than NH.
Yeah that's the one I was talking about...I probably embellished a little on it's near NH, but it's definitely closer to New Hampshire than it is to Braintree thanks to Expressway traffic! But hey, all us South Shore people think anything north of Boston is New Hampshire. ;) There is a very small shop at Independent Fermentation in Plymouth too...but once Memorial Day comes, the 35 minute ride there becomes a lot longer with Cape traffic. And there is liquor store in Lakeville that had a homebrew section. They recently moved into a new spot that I think it just a homebrew store, but have not been there yet. But I am spoiled as my old LHBS was in Weymouth and was like 7 minutes from my house. I have checked out online ordering from Beer & Wine, but their shipping is a little pricey.

I agree the cost of brewing has gone up quite a bit, but so has the cost of beer in the store. In Canada (well BC and Manitoba where I live anyway) craft beer has gotten relatively more expensive than cheaper mass market beer as well (the cost difference between cheap beer and craft beer has increased more than inflation).
Almost everything has gotten way more expensive and my wages haven't changed since 2015.

I am pretty sure if you do things as cheaply as possible homebrewing is still a pretty cheap glass of beer compared to buying it (at least in Canada).

Last edited by a moderator:
Package store 6 packs of SN are $10 and up. Buy pint cans of any IIPA and it is $16. Homebrew is way cheaper in every way. I brew larger batches and farm my yeast. Buy everything in bulk and save where it’s worth it. I’ll buy 6 sacks at a time when I’m near the source. It is what it is, just looked at a new truck and it was almost $100K. Inflation is everywhere and not going away. Homes are approaching $300/sq ft. ...time for a Homebrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not as concerned about prices as I am about homebrew supply places closing.

I was spoiled with being able to pick grains up after work a few doors down or it only be a 5 minute drive to get some stuff on the weekend. Online is okay for some things, but geez...the shipping.

Yeah that's the one I was talking about...I probably embellished a little on it's near NH, but it's definitely closer to New Hampshire than it is to Braintree thanks to Expressway traffic! But hey, all us South Shore people think anything north of Boston is New Hampshire. ;) There is a very small shop at Independent Fermentation in Plymouth too...but once Memorial Day comes, the 35 minute ride there becomes a lot longer with Cape traffic. And there is liquor store in Lakeville that had a homebrew section. They recently moved into a new spot that I think it just a homebrew store, but have not been there yet. But I am spoiled as my old LHBS was in Weymouth and was like 7 minutes from my house. I have checked out online ordering from Beer & Wine, but their shipping is a little pricey.
You're on the wrong side of Boston. You need to move to the North Shore where the beer tastes fresher. I can see NH from my window! :D

I was spoiled with being able to pick grains up after work a few doors down or it only be a 5 minute drive to get some stuff on the weekend. Online is okay for some things, but geez...the shipping.
I'm still spoiled - there's a pretty decent LHBS <20 minutes away, even if it really is more of a gardening shop with a homebrewing apendage. In fact, I'm even more spoiled then I used to be since a local maltster opened a retail store that is also <20 minutes away. I can order online and pick up in store, and the prices are pretty decent IMO.

The "good" news -- commercial beers are increasing along with everything else, so we retain an economic advantage in brewing our own, and that doesn't even take into account the positive impacts on our lives of having a hobby that not only keeps you busy, but results in delicious consumables!

My experiences with dry yeast prices (2020 vs 2024)

View attachment 848714
  • 2020 is actual purchase price (no volume discounts, shipping is extra)
  • 2024 is the current purchase price (no volume discounts, shipping is extra)
  • In the past, some online stores offered volume discounts and U.S. Mail for shipping. In combination, the cost of shipping was often less than the volume discount. In 2024, at least one of the stores I shop still has a low cost shipping option for low weight orders.
  • Current prices are (obviously) subject to change without prior notice.

Toronto dry yeast prices are twice that.

Toronto dry yeast prices are twice that.
FWIW, the prices I listed where "same store over time" and did not include shipping (aka "Free shipping isn't free") costs.

With regard to ingredient prices, on line stores
  • with warehouses in urban environments or
  • that are owned by corporations
may choose to compete for business on things other than ingredient price.

Yeah prices for homebrewing ingredients are up along with everything else. I reuse yeast extensively so I don't buy it too often these days. I bought some packs of WY3278 for some sour beer and paid $17 per pack. I swear just a few years ago these were still $7. I'm not sure why yeast prices have skyrocketed but definitely makes reusing yeast even more valuable. Grain prices are up but I buy mostly local maltsters so I know I'm paying a little more than I could.

The only ingredient that doesn't appear to have shot up in prices are hops. The new varieties are always ridiculously expensive but the older varieties aren't out of line with prices even pre-2020. There was a big hop glut and it seems that's drying up, so I wouldn't be surprised to see prices start moving up again. I guess it's a good thing I have like 12 pounds of hops in my freezer and four varieties on the bine.

Even with escalating prices, it's still way cheaper to homebrew than buy beer. Locally pints are hitting $7-8 with higher ABV beers clocking in over $1/oz. Four packs ~$15 even for low cost lager styles. That $17 pack of WY3278 plus water, gas and grain comes out to about $65 in costs to make ~25 750ml of sour beer. At the low end of $20/750ml that would cost $500 to purchase. Even if you wanted to throw in all the costs of cleaning supplies, bottle caps and fractional costs on the equipment, it's still not even 20% of the purchase price for that beer. Clean beers don't quite carry that margin for homebrewers but the costs only become a real issue IMO if you're brewing IPAs with only the most expensive and newest hops.

Homebrewing....."Penny-wise, but pound foolish" about sums it up for me. :D

I just put an ingredient list in the shopping cart. Yeah, sure everything has gone up in price, but it looks to be the yeast which is significantly driving cost/batch. For me the reality is that it's the equipment capital expenses that are killing me (and I fully blame this community) :D.....and why I never look at cost/beer 😖

Back