Low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaty Jones

Reaction score
Hi,

My both batches ended up extremely low FG atleast what my rapt pills shows remotely. 1.000 and 1.003. Not yet tested with hydrometer. I think i know what caused this. While mashing I did 35min at 63°C and 25min at 70°C. (according to my kettle) While In alpha pause at second batch I realized somethings off. I saw much more steam In the first batch. I dipped my extra temp probe In to the mash and it showed 62°C. So my kettle temperature sensor showed much higher than it was and I had mashed only on beta temperatures..

I know you ask the recipe so here it is:

22l water with no treatment
3,4kg of Viking pilsner malt
I let the malts hang over the boil after mashing but i didnt squeeze them.
210g of muntons extra light DME
30g of saaz for 45min In boil and 60g more 15min at the end of the boil. In the fermenter went around 17-18l of wort.

I did two batches with this recipe and used different yeast In each. Yeasts were saflager s-23 and saflager w34-70. Both were made to starters in 2,5l and 1.034 SG. I used wort whipper so the cell count should be 427bil. I decanted the starter wort.

My question is, Will it even be drinkable? I was thinking of lagering it for atleast six weeks, Maybe even 11 weeks, but is it worth the wait?

Pictures of the timelines from both batches. Blue is temperature, Red is SG and yellow is ABV%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240514_125708_com.android.chrome_edit_358161290790138.jpg
    Screenshot_20240514_125708_com.android.chrome_edit_358161290790138.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240514_125743.jpg
    Screenshot_20240514_125743.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 0
They might not be award winning brews but I don't see any reason for them not being drinkable. With the investment you have in them already keep them and try it.

Most if us learn from our mistakes and try to do better the next time round. It's all part of the experience.

Seems like there ought to be a rule high up on the list for people to quit worrying whether their beer will turn out bad until it actually is finished, ready to drink and then tasted so that it is known if the beer is bad or good. :bigmug:

Don't worry, you are just one of many with this very question.

But seriously, wait and see what it's like. Then start asking why it turned out that way. Keep good notes about everything. It might take several batches for you to figure out why it came out so good or bad. Usually the one that's unique will have something you did differently. Or something you did poorly or exceptionally well that time.

My both batches ended up extremely low FG atleast what my rapt pills shows remotely. 1.000 and 1.003. Not yet tested with hydrometer.
There are many reasons why the SG numbers from a tilt angle sensor can be inaccurate. They are very good for tracking the progress of fermentation, and knowing when it is completed, but they are not suitable for taking accurate SG measurements. Use a calibrated hydrometer, and correct for temperature if it is different from the hydrometer's reference temperature, if you want accurate SG measurements.

Brew on :mug:

Back