British Golden Ale Miraculix Best - Classic English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what Balrog just made...

1716839750562.png

I'm calling it the Mittelfruh Miraculix.

It wouldn't be "inauthentic" either, as Brittish brewers judging by old brewing records regularly spiced things up with the odd continental hop....
That was one of the things I discovered reading through Ron Pattinson's Vintage book. Never knew this. Strisselspalt (1918 Courage Double Stout), Spalt (1885 Young XP), Styrian (1939 Barclay Perkins IPA; 1939 Maclay SA), Saaz (1933 Lee's Bitter; 1868 Tetley XX), Hallertauer (1920 Fuller's XX Mild; 1909 Maclay Pl 60/-).

The other one that really surprised me was North American Cluster from Canada and the U.S.. It's everywhere in these recipes, even though even then (1863 Farmer' Almanac) North American hops weren't universally esteemed:

...The hops from Canada and the States, in the opinion of the best judges, still exhibit the disagreeable flavour which renders them quite unsuitable for fine qualities of ales....

Last edited:
That was one of the things I discovered reading through Ron Pattinson's Vintage book. Never knew this. Strisselspalt (1918 Courage Double Stout), Spalt (1885 Young XP), Styrian (1939 Barclay Perkins IPA; 1939 Maclay SA), Saaz (1933 Lee's Bitter; 1868 Tetley XX), Hallertauer (1920 Fuller's XX Mild; 1909 Maclay Pl 60/-).

The other one that really surprised me was North American Cluster from Canada and the U.S.. It's everywhere in these recipes, even though even then (1863 Farmer' Almanac) North American hops weren't universally esteemed:
It's over 10 years ago but I think I remember reading something similar in "For the love of hops by Stan Hieronymus" that American hops were used in England back then but not everyone was convinced about them as they had some kind of abbrasive twang compared to British nobel hops.

It's over 10 years ago but I think I remember reading something similar in "For the love of hops by Stan Hieronymus" that American hops were used in England back then but not everyone was convinced about them as they had some kind of abbrasive twang compared to British nobel hops.
It's not "catty," is it?

If i remember correctly, most of the times the non-English hops were historically used for bittering additions, while reserving the flavour additions for more traditional English or maybe German hops.

Back