overnight mash and keeping my cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea how long the mash was actually held at 155F, but I am pretty sure it wasn't 10 years.
What methods might one use to hold 155 for 10 years?

If you drilled to the right depth, you might find a spot that's just right.

edit: Or if it was in orbit around the sun, I guess you might find the right albedo/shade combo..

If you've held 155°F for more than about 30 minutes, all of your beta amylase, and the more important limit dextrinase, have been denatured. If the mash then cools down, the denatured enzymes are not reactivated, and no additional beta or limit dextrinase activity occurs.

Brew on :mug:
I've started overnight mashes as hot as 160 and had 80-90% attenuation consistently...so the temp loss must be fast enoughfor the beta to survive. Perhaps there are hot/cold pockets in the mash, IDK, but I had what I would consider thinner beer than you would think, given the start temp.

The overnight mash intrigues me. I actually tried it a couple years ago. I just did my regular thing and left it until the next morning. It did have a little sour smell when I opened up the mash tun, and that spooked me a little, but I carried on and made beer. I don’t recall any major differences in the results. I have to confess; I am not one to take a lot of notes, measurements, nor do I claim to have a sensitive palate. I made beer; it was drinkable; it was consumed. 😁

Now that I’m retired, I have more time to improve my methods and make a more enjoyable beer. However, being some 30+ years since I made that first batch, I just get wiped out on a brew day. Breaking things down into two days would be really nice.

So, what would be a few simple recommendations for success in overnight mashing?
-Would you try to maintain recipe mash temp for a couple hours, then put it to bed. (I can use my digiboil for mashing 5 gallon batches)
- Would you recommend a full volume mash to further reduce startup time the next morning?
-Anything else that you can think of that you would absolutely want to do, or absolutely want to avoid doing?

I would also like to do 10 gallon batches this way, but would have to use my mash tun, (non-heatable) rather than the digiboil.

Thanks in advance!

When I do this I use a 1:1 ratio, 1 qt/lb. it's a thick mash that helps hold temp. I only do it in my cooler tun not the BIAB. I make an all malt Belgian triple this way and it finishes at 1.002. I'll admit that my yeast choice puts out a lot of glycerin so it has a pleasant mouth feel.

The overnight mash intrigues me. I actually tried it a couple years ago. I just did my regular thing and left it until the next morning. It did have a little sour smell when I opened up the mash tun, and that spooked me a little, but I carried on and made beer. I don’t recall any major differences in the results. I have to confess; I am not one to take a lot of notes, measurements, nor do I claim to have a sensitive palate. I made beer; it was drinkable; it was consumed. 😁

Now that I’m retired, I have more time to improve my methods and make a more enjoyable beer. However, being some 30+ years since I made that first batch, I just get wiped out on a brew day. Breaking things down into two days would be really nice.

So, what would be a few simple recommendations for success in overnight mashing?
-Would you try to maintain recipe mash temp for a couple hours, then put it to bed. (I can use my digiboil for mashing 5 gallon batches)
- Would you recommend a full volume mash to further reduce startup time the next morning?
-Anything else that you can think of that you would absolutely want to do, or absolutely want to avoid doing?

I would also like to do 10 gallon batches this way, but would have to use my mash tun, (non-heatable) rather than the digiboil.

Thanks in advance!
Start higher than recipe calls for. 3-5 degrees (3 degrees if a lower, say 150 mash, 5 degrees if a higher, say 154 mash). I used a cooler and wrapped in a blanket, but it was easily in the 140's or so by morning. Always attenuated very well. If you don't start higher on the mash, chances are you'll end up with a very dry beer. Yes, the higher the volume, the more easily it will hold temp.

Latest posts

Back