Replacing Poppet on a Sanke Key

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpmaura

Reaction score
So looks like the poppet on a keg i have has been damaged and I need to repalce it. But i dont have an idea on what to do. Any tips on the tools i might need would be apreciated. Uploaded a pic hopefuly you can see the damage and what I am trying to replace.

There's a lock ring you need to.remove around the top outer edge. Once you do that, it'll come out easy. Many of us did that when converting sankes to keggles back in the stone age. Here's 1 of our own going through it. Used to be a Mod here and the 1 who came up with Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale.

Last edited:
The video linked to by Lumpher shows how to remove the lock ring and spear. That black gasket that needs to be replaced is part of the valve assembly on the spear. The spear needs to be disassembled in order to replace it. I disassemble the spear by placing the spear upside down (valve/black gasket down) on a firm work bench, then slip a length of 1" (I believe) PVC pipe over the dip tube, dress down real hard and twist the PVC pipe to disassemble the valve assembly on the spear. Reassemble using the same technique. Sorry that I don't have any pictures of this to share and I hope my description is clear.
For some pointers for next time you need to remove the lock ring, see my comments and pictures in post #7 of the link below.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/cleaning-a-sanke-keg.727160/#post-10268072

Latest posts

Back