so do I finally have my first infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had anything like this, so posting to check, should i just dump this? don't want to risk bottle bombs or other issues.
IMG_20211106_114622500.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty, one for the books!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pellicle-photo-collection.174033/
Hard to tell for sure, but it's possible. Looking like white ice shards floating on top? That would be a pellicle forming, and yup, mostly due to some microorganism (other than your yeast) that wants to prevent other ones from entering and interfering with their business.

I also see some tan yeast rafts in there, that's quite normal.

Have you tasted it? It may be a little sour or have some other flavor, but still be good, and very drinkable. It's usually safe to consume, as long as it isn't mold.

found the culprit, my wife decided to "borrow" my spare starsan sprayer to spray her plants and left it on my brewing table full of water, so my fermenter likely was not sanitised at all....dumped it as it tasted off....there's a first for everything....

Taking a closer look at your posted image, are those "pits" inside your fermenter wall?
If so, they can harbor all kinds of nasties, and I'm surprised you haven't had infection issues before.

Fermenter Pits 2021-11-06.png

Just weld spots, I clean and sanitise, then pour the hot wort in, never had issues before
Welding spots from what looks like the handles, right?

Since you had an infection now, you'll want to pay some extra attention to them, as they can harbor "bugs."

A good scrub-out is in place, yes. You'll never get it sanitized much to any standard, as the insides of the spots are rough, and may hold onto dirt, bacteria, and whatnot. But the good thing is, they are above your wort/beer line, so there is far less chance of contact.
I'd really scrub them well with a good brush and cleaner, even trying to get inside those little holes. Then spray sanitize them as thoroughly as possible.

If you have an Iodine sanitizer on hand, you may want to use that too. Or put a little strong acid in those holes...

using starsan normally, I could also just fill it with hot water and run the stove for a boil for a while i guess to kill anything
Starsan should kill bugs as well as boiling water, without the hassle. It's what remains inside those pits that would worry me.

BTW, what kind of stainless fermenter is that? Is it your boil kettle?

https://panimonurkka.fi/tuote/kattila-30l-rst/
steel fermentation kettle, I don't use it for boil, but it's technically possible.
I cool in the fermenter, not the kettle, so I transfer to this, than this goes into the tub closed up to reduce the chance of infection so this kettle will be full of boiling hot wort before cooling it.

Back